boat motor ?

tcuurry

i have a Johnson 15 hp boat motor and when i put it in forward gear as long as i idle the boat will go forward but when i give it more gas it just revs up real high and never gets any faster could it be the forward gear i have not tried running it in revers but i have looked at the prop i do not think i have hurt that rubber gram mint any thoughts would be great

catman529

Mine will occasionally slip at full throttle but usually only after running it most of the day. Haven't figured it out yet. I think removing some fishing line helped. Take the prop off and see if there is fishing line. If there is, make sure your lower unit hasn't got water seeped into the oil from the line cutting the seal. Hope someone else here with more knowledge on boat motors can help you pinpoint the problem.

Biggun4214

The linkage could need adjusting. The bushing in the prop could be worn to the point that it is slipping as well.

Unicam

shorefisherman said:
you cant tell a spun out prop by looking at it, it needs to be under load, get a new prop youl be good to go

Agreed, my 35 Evinrude spun the grommet in the prop and you could not tell. Put a new prop on her and all was good.

TNTomtaker01

Couldn't you put it in gear (with motor off) and try to spin the prop? If prop is not spun you shouldn't be able to turn it.

Latest posts