Boat motor trouble

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have a 1985 Mercury 35 hp tiller handle motor on my boat.

Time before last that we went out it performed perfectly.
Then the last time we went out I fired it up and put it in reverse to back it off the trailer and it wouldn't do anything.

Basically it won't go forward or reverse.
The prop spins free but it just won't go in gear.

I THOUGHT there was a pin out of a hole in the engagement "bracket" but I looked today and there is nothing to put in that hole.

The gear shift moves fine but "something" just ain't clicking.

Anyone ever heard of such or had such?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

sellsman11

That sounds like an issue in the linkage. At the back of the engine there should be a rod connected to another by a long nut. It can be adjusted. Maybe?

Trapper John

I agree. Sounds like linkage. My Yamaha was incredibly hard to shift from neutral to reverse when I first got it until I tinkered with the...well, I don't know the technical term for it. The long cylinder with the nut on it.

Also, when I replaced the water pump and had to undo the linkage, before I hooked everything back together the motor would do exactly as you say. It might have just come loose.

SES

Go to Bass Boat Central. There are several mechanics on there that can answer about any question you have.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I am pretty sure it is the linkage but I can't see anything that is unhooked.

The bracket that moves when you shift it has a stud sticking up out of it but I don't see anything that would hook back up to it.

Very confusing and frustrating as I can't really see good up under everything in the motor.

Grrrrr. :mad:

lockandloaded

I agree sounds like a linkage problem. Unfortunately most of the time the linkage connects to the down rod under the power head. Then the shifter down rod connects to the shift dogs. Which also could be another source of the problem.
I had a Johnson once In the corner of the garage that fell over. I didn't know until I went to put it on the boat the night before a fishing trip I bent the shift linkage. Luckily I had a spare linkage and had to pull the power head out just to replace it that night. But I did make it fishing. Hope it's a quick and easy do for you.

smokepolemonky

RUGER said:
Lower unit was full of water.
Froze and shoved everything out the prop end. :(
Did it strip the threads out when it pushed out if so you will have to get a new foot and install the internal gearing into it might find a used/junked out one somewhere.i always lower my engine the water will drain when i get home from a fishing/boating trip and leave it down all winter. there should be a flush plug on the side that you could squirt some antifreeze inside to keep it fron freezing but turn it over some to mix it with the water in the foot. Hope it helps Ruger.