Boat Motor help

Dbllunger

Hey guys I have a 25hp two cycle, tiller handle Johnson motor 97' model. Motor always starts and runs great with one exception. I like to fish below dams and what we do is pull up to the generating dam and cut to idle and drift back for 800-1000 feet and then throttle back up and do it again. When I throttle back up to head to the dam the engine sputters and coughs. I will go back to idle and try again with same results. Usually after about three tries, she gets full power and I run back up to the dam no problem. This only happens after I have been running and then idling for a few minutes or more. Any ideas?? Carb ice?? Garbage in the line??

Any help appreciated

Mudbone

I have had the same problem before. A carb kit and fresh gas, good again. Lots of idling tends to foul plugs as well.

woodsman87

Im not a mechaning, but I got an old Johnson that acts kind of like that. Like mudbone said, clean the carb and get some fresh gas through there.
Sometimes when mine don't run right I have to pump the bulb just to keep the motor running and going.
Its a Johnson 6hp 72 model, don't laugh

Dbllunger

woodsman87 said:

I ain't laughing at any man's motor! One of my all time favorite motors was my Evinrude 9.9 I used to use on my jon boat with the break neck trailer to fish oxbows inside the levee in south east Arkansas back in my younger days.

woodsman87

Dbllunger said:
woodsman87 said:

I ain't laughing at any man's motor! One of my all time favorite motors was my Evinrude 9.9 I used to use on my jon boat with the break neck trailer to fish oxbows inside the levee in south east Arkansas back in my younger days.

I just use mine to go up and down the elk river here in giles county and north, AL. All I wanna do and all I need. Its slow, but it runs good and does what I want it to do. 14 foot jon boat with this motor is perfect for me to catch what I am after.

ClubHead

Any older 2 stroke will Load up when Idleing for a long time.The plugs cant burn off like they should until you open it up.Change the plugs and see if that helps.The special motors are designed for long Idles.

Dbllunger

ClubHead said:
Any older 2 stroke will Load up when Idleing for a long time.The plugs cant burn off like they should until you open it up.Change the plugs and see if that helps.The special motors are designed for long Idles.

Interesting. Makes pretty good sense. Ill give it a try

ClubHead

Dbllunger said:
ClubHead said:

Interesting. Makes pretty good sense. Ill give it a try
Unless they are in bad shape,I just clean mine when it starts sputtering.I use some sand paper doulbled over.It saves buying new plugs when all they are is dirty.

Hook1

Sounds like it could be sucking air in somewhere also. Losing it's prime. Just had to change my male connection on my tank. The dang stud on it was lose that held the female in place. But carbs are pretty simple clean up as well as a feul pump rebuild.

Latest posts