Boat covers

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My boat will either be in my shop or in the garage, it will never set out in the weather.
With that said, I have been looking at boat covers.
If it is in my shop and I decide I want to cut some wood, spray paint something or whatever else happens in there I don't want crap getting on / in it.
First thing I learned is they are HIGH.
If you get one specifically for your boat you will pay upwards of $400 for it.

Has anyone ever used one of the "universal" covers?
I have a Pro 170 and they have a cover that fits 17'-19' boats.
I'm assuming that would be fine?
Won't be on the boat when going down the road.

Looking at this one.

mike52

I got a Sealskin cover for my boat. They make covers to fit YOUR boat, such as where the trolling motor / windshield are located. Have had it 2 years now and still in great shape. I did go to the trouble of making a 11/2" PVC frame that uses the uprights for the seats and a middle support that goes to floor.. But my boat sets outside

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
my wife bought me that bass pro cover. it was like 99 bucks back then. fits like a glove. has just enough slack adjustment that i can keep my mfd's on or off. worth the 100 bucks just to keep the garage dust out of the carpet and seats.
Thank you sir.
I have $100 worth of gift cards so mine is gonna be well worth the cost. :D

bluball

I bought a cheap $50 cover off ebay for my old boat,it does pretty good.Its usually underca carport though

rsimms

Any boat cover works great, when the weather is good. The devil is in the details when the foul weather comes - how well/tight does the cover fit so that it will shed water (or snow)? If the cover sags at all and starts collecting water in a heavy rain, that's when the trouble starts.

If you can get one made for the boat that fits tight and won't sag, I think it's worth paying the extra money. Good protection will MORE than pay for itself when/if the times come to sell the boat!

If you buy universal just be sure you devise a system so that it fits snug and won't sag/collect water. And then be sure and DO IT whenever you park it.

All that said, IMHO you're better off storing it inside and just taking the time to pull it out anytime you need to work in there.

scn

I use one of the HEAVY DUTY silver sun tarps for mine that goes down to the trailer on both sides. I use an aluminum folding chair in the cockpit to provide the height and slope to keep water from pooling. With the rubber tarp straps, I haven't had any trouble with wind, rain, or snow. It also does a great job for limiting any sun damage.

I suspect it takes me a little longer to remove than a custom made cover, but, I only have around $100 in the whole deal. The tarp lasts a couple of years before it starts to go bad. I just put a new one on my flats boat, and it has been great with all of the wind and rain in recent storms.

WTM

Thank you sir.
I have $100 worth of gift cards so mine is gonna be well worth the cost. :D
ill look and see exactly what mine says, i dont think its a heavy duty one even though its heavy as all get out to put on. ive drove it to town a couple of times to gas up and it stays tight but dont know about longer trips how it would hold up. i only live a mile from the lake so it comes off when i leave the house. it was pretty handy when i was fishing every day, hooked up to truck, keeping the morning dew off of everything.

FLTENNHUNTER1

My boat will either be in my shop or in the garage, it will never set out in the weather.
With that said, I have been looking at boat covers.
If it is in my shop and I decide I want to cut some wood, spray paint something or whatever else happens in there I don't want crap getting on / in it.
First thing I learned is they are HIGH.
If you get one specifically for your boat you will pay upwards of $400 for it.

Has anyone ever used one of the "universal" covers?
I have a Pro 170 and they have a cover that fits 17'-19' boats.
I'm assuming that would be fine?
Won't be on the boat when going down the road.

Looking at this one.

I gave up on custom covers for my pontoon...The last 4 years I have been using (guessing from memory) a 20 mil or thicker tarp similar to this...

Amazon product ASIN B000FH7NHQ

WTM

72FF69BB-D840-4BC7-B3D7-D1F79759AA8C.jpeg

mine is a harbor master 150 denier according to the model. so that bp brand is actually a better cover than mine at 300 denier.

Sam Davis

I bought a bass pro weather safe standard duty trailerable cover when I bought my boat. It was raining when I picked it up and I didn't want to pull it down I-40 in the rain & it not be covered. It cost $125 and done a really good job. Even though it's parked in the garage I still cover it when I'm not going to use it for a while.

Latest posts