Blinds flipping

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
The man whose duck blind I am using on our spot this year called yesterday.
He is using a blind that belongs to another guy in our group so we are using his.
The one on his spot flipped, I assume due to the ice moving around. He said 4 more flipped in that area as well.
He was going to hunt a different blind and check on the one on our spot this morning.
Don't sound good.
Don't sound like I will get many of my dekes back this year either. :bash:

cbhunter

Duck hunting..... the gift that keeps on giving. Man I hate that for y'all. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be after all the preparation you put into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
cbhunter":1eoeu5n6 said:
Duck hunting..... the gift that keeps on giving. Man I hate that for y'all. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be after all the preparation you put into it

My son and I had that very conversation not long ago.
He has about decided hunting public land just about ain't worth it.
We are gonna weigh our options before next year and decide something.

I figure we have a few options.
1) Build a blind and put it on KY lake near the river somewhere and just kill what we kill.
2) Go to the drawings as usual but leave if we don't get a top 3 pick.
3) Don't mess with the draws at all and just puddle jump. This is alot of hard work and I am dang near too old for it but this is what we did last year and we killed more ducks than we ever have. However, Man wasn't working and he hunted every day (54 out of 60 days) then scouted after he hunted and we would go after them when we found them.
Definitely can't put that amount of time into it anymore.
4) Go on 2 or 3 guided hunts next year, if I can go where me and my group are the only ones in the blind. I will not get in a blind with 10 other people that I don't know from Adam.
5) Just fish more and say piss on a duck. (My idea, not his LOL)

Blinds WAY too close together.
Skybusters (saw that more this year than I ever have in my life)
Swingshooters, had to literally make my son stay in our blind one day and not go confront the guys in the "permanent" blind closest to us.

No telling how many hours I spent working on decoys and brushing blinds.
Woodyard helped me more than anyone ever has since we started duck hunting.
One buddy is mad because he hasn't been hunting but once but when there are zero ducks there just ain't no need in going every weekend and spending over $100 just to hang out and have chit chat. I can do that at home.
My son and I spent about 15 hours brushing just one blind.
I have killed exactly 1 duck this year.
Pathetic.

Had a couple invitations to go with other people where I know we would have killed but at that time between being sick and having to stay home and take care of my wife I couldn't go.

I honestly wish I had the money to get a lease somewhere with like minded hunters, that would be a dream come true but I just can't afford it.

I do know, without a doubt, I won't do what I did this year again.
I will either have a top 3 blind or I will have a blind somewhere on KY lake or I won't hunt at all. Just simply ain't worth it.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
woodyard":1bs0gmt3 said:
That is about disgusting! We could of built a blind on my pond and killed that many! :lol:

LOL yep.
Had very high hopes this year after all the information I got about our draws.
PPPffftttttttttttt yeah right. LOL

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
cbhunter":rne7jole said:
Well we are at least gonna get one guided hunt together. Personally, I'm pumped!

Yep, looking forward to that myself.

That and catching some big bream & shellcracker at the 1,000 acre lake. :D

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I know the feeling. We have draw blinds at Reelfoot and Camden at our disposal. I have brought home 6 birds all season so far. At least I have plenty of deer in the freezer. Camden blind has surprisingly killed more birds than Reelfoot. I just can't hunt every day, and we've been iced out for 2 weeks. We can get to both, but the roads are really bad for me to get into town to go to either. Roads for Camden after I hit a main road are good, road to Reelfoot, not so much. I went yesterday, but I'm staying in today. We saw 12 birds yesterday and never fired a shot.

We've got a blind on Ky Lake and can't hunt it because the boat port broke off and flipped over in front of the blind. Gonna try to fix that and build another floater to go someplace else this spring before the snakes get out. We'll brush them this fall and see if we can get a decent draw blind in Camden instead of splitting up to do both Reelfoot and Camden. And hope we don't draw a spot that has to be built this season and can get away with just brushing.

cathunter

RUGER":3ookw4zp said:
cbhunter":3ookw4zp said:
Well we are at least gonna get one guided hunt together. Personally, I'm pumped!

If you happen to come to east tn take your wife to gatlinburg for a weekend holler at me and I'll put you on some big blue gill and shell crackers.

cbhunter

RUGER":2jj7mi6e said:
cbhunter":2jj7mi6e said:

you got my number whenever you need a guide. Lololol

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
cbhunter":1m3z71uv said:
RUGER":1m3z71uv said:
cbhunter":1m3z71uv said:

you got my number whenever you need a guide. Lololol

Planning on it !

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
cathunter":2wtohbjm said:
RUGER":2wtohbjm said:
cbhunter":2wtohbjm said:

If you happen to come to east tn take your wife to gatlinburg for a weekend holler at me and I'll put you on some big blue gill and shell crackers.

Sounds good man!

Kevin

Ruger as close as yall are to AR, yall just need to run over and get familiar with Big Lake and DD in NEA.

Won't have to worry about 1000 decoys floating away any more. Take 2-3 dz and kick some water.

drrxnupe

Ruger I feel your pain. I had my duck hunting melt down two years ago on Old Hickory. We dealt with too much drama from random unnecessary crap...flarers, poachers, thieves, sea gulls...u name it. This past year, we left the draw after the first 10 picks. So as consolation to my self, me and my buddies are headed to Tunica/MS Delta this weekend for some drankin, lying, gambling, and duck shootin. Hopefully we'll kill a bunch.

Mud Creek

As a beginner I guess I'm just gonna forget about public land all together if possible. I don't know any duck hunters or groups so I wouldn't know where to begin on public waters alone. Between posts I've read here and some FB groups I've joined it seems like a pure hassle for the average guy(s). I'm really hoping to find some local birds and also book a hunt or 2 if possible for me and my nephew. I would REALLY like to film a hunt in flooded timber I guess a guide would be about my best chance!!

drrxnupe

Mud Creek":13be4hp8 said:
As a beginner I guess I'm just gonna forget about public land all together if possible. I don't know any duck hunters or groups so I wouldn't know where to begin on public waters alone. Between posts I've read here and some FB groups I've joined it seems like a pure hassle for the average guy(s). I'm really hoping to find some local birds and also book a hunt or 2 if possible for me and my nephew. I would REALLY like to film a hunt in flooded timber I guess a guide would be about my best chance!!

I would strongly suggest you book a guided hunt as your first hunt. There are plenty of outfitters in West TN, in the MS Delta, Missouri, Kansas, and of course Arkansas. Public land hunting on a 1st hunt will frustrate the crap out of you to where you will never want to go again. That said...once you get the swing of it, it maybe worthwhile to go to a blind draw or blind hop.

drrxnupe

drrxnupe":1s656yz0 said:
Mud Creek":1s656yz0 said:

I would strongly suggest you book a guided hunt as your first hunt. There are plenty of outfitters in West TN, in the MS Delta, Missouri, Kansas, and of course Arkansas. Public land hunting on a 1st hunt will frustrate the crap out of you to where you will never want to go again. That said...once you get the swing of it, it maybe worthwhile to go to a blind draw or learn to blind hop.

duckriver

I've done it off and on for a while. At the end of the day IMHO your best off to save up and go on the best guided hunt you can afford for 2-3 days and call it a year

Latest posts