• Help Support TNDeer:

Blessed beyond belief! GIANT iowa buck

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

tree_ghost

Supporter
That’s is why people do what they do to go to Iowa!!! Congratulations on a buck of a lifetime! I cant imagine the pressure of having an animal of that caliber in my sights...thank you for sharing!!!!

iowavf

Met a guy through a mutual friend and two years later i’m hunting in Iowa after almost not going; despite drawing a tag, due to ehd.

Even two weeks ago I was doubting making the drive, especially when I saw the weather forecast.

The day I drove up it was raining from St. louis clear to camp. that night it turned to snow and dumped 4-5 inches.
I can’t count the number of deer I saw saturday and sunday including a good 140s 9 point and a freakish long briwtine 8 point. then come monday the switch had been turned off. I think I saw 8 deer all day monday and on tuesday I had see a few does or two coming through but all before legal time.

up until tuesday I had sat from 5;45 am until 5:30 pm but on Tuesday I went to a new stand to just take a break. Around 10 and half froze I decided to go back to my original food plot.

Around 2 a few does came out and as they hit the west edge of the field they suddenly looked toward south property line and took off and the next group did the same. They never gave an indication as to why or what but I started to wonder so I opened the back window of the blind and the wind hit me straight in the face. I almost climbed down and when back to the bean field I was on earlier but my scent vont only showed a small part of the field being hit and was exactly where these does started acting goofy at.

around 3:30 two young bucks came out and was feeding all around the field and worked up to the northwest corner and started acting like they saw something but went back to feeding and eventually went off the field.

around 4:15 another young buck entered the field and started feeding and was working toward where all the does had earlier caught my wind. I was watching him when he lifted his head and looked my way. He didn’t seem bothered and started to feed again then jerked his head up and was looking up the field. I glanced that way toward a tree that deer had been entering the field beside and thought dang that tree is moving. And I mean that as seriously as I can.

It was then that I notice antlers. It was overcast and 15 mins of light left. but as the deer entered the plot I saw immediately I was going to shoot and didn’t grab my bono’s to study him. I knew it was a good deer but I had no ideal. He was angle twloward me and 30 yards from hitting the apparent scent line so I hurried.

As I reach for my gun and start bringing it out the window he stopped and jerked his head straight toward the stand. in one motion I cocked the hammer on my cba 45/70, shouldered the stock found the deer in the scope, thought you’re bad to pull when in a hurry and don’t hit shoulder this is a huge deer, swung past the shoulder going for one lung and liver. and squeezed off a round. I heard the bullet impact and saw the head drop back/arch of a gut shot deer. I knew i’d probably hit gut so we checked for blood and backed out.

I was 100% certain of my shot placement. and I was 100% certain my mind said my eyes saw a big deer. The guy i’m hunting with said was it a good deer and I said 160 plus. He said describe it. I said he’s wide, good tines, dark bases and really good browtines. He said are you sure it’s not that big brow 8? It was at that point I started questioning myself.

That night I went to lay in the bed around 9pm and it was at that point it became a sleepless night. I thought what have you done. You should have put in in front of the shoulder and dump him. And i started looking at photos of the tall brow deer i had taken through my bono’s and this’ll started believing it was that deer and i didn’t see what i thought i saw. I’ve been hunting hard ever since i show my first deer at 13 and i’m now 50. I know getting excited makes deer look bigger than they are and now i thought that’s exactly what i had done.
at 2am I closed my eyes and was wide awake at 4. I just could not figure out what I had done.

The wife of another guy asked me what I thought I had. She said dude you’ve hunted hard. i’ve seen the deer you’ve turned down, you need to trust yourself. What did he look like she said. 10 points wide and tall. She said i’m guessing 172 without seeing it!

well She was off! We head to the farm and laying 60 yards in the woods, 40 yards from where we marked blood, was a deer bigger than I have ever laid my hands. Ole DA shot a big archery deer that I had the pleasure of mounting and until this point that was the biggest deer I had ever held. well now i’ve not only touched but I shot a BIG IOWA monster 195”er. Main frame 10 like I thought with 4 kickers. mass was 6&1/2 at base and still 6 on one g4 and 5&6/8 on other side at g4 . My best prior was 151&6/8. i’ll never top this deer but i’ll sure continue chasing and passing in hopes of those 160, 170, 180,&200 inchers.

photos are on 140s 9 passed on day one and long brow8.
and mine of course.
Weather definitely got better for second season. Snow and lower temps are nice. I have a late ML tag and I see the temps are going back into the 50" next week which is when it starts. Probably lose most of the snow but would like the temps to drop versus snow cover. My blind is better for the late afternoon versus the morning and with the warm temps I didn't see the bigger bucks until after dark and season was over.

JArender

Weather definitely got better for second season. Snow and lower temps are nice. I have a late ML tag and I see the temps are going back into the 50" next week which is when it starts. Probably lose most of the snow but would like the temps to drop versus snow cover. My blind is better for the late afternoon versus the morning and with the warm temps I didn't see the bigger bucks until after dark and season was over.
they were moving good between 2-4:30 with bigger coming out around 5 this week

gatodoc

Congrats...I make note of the time you saw him....It seems all the really big deer I see are right at last shooting light or just after where I can see them but not ethically shoot....

Latest posts