Black Warrior Time.. Alabama Hog Hunting

booche

Is there a special permit for Black Warrior? How far is it from Chattanooga? Do you use a guide or just camp out for a weekend?

MarshallCountyChestnut

There is a Management Area License that is required, and a permit that's free that must be picked up at the rangers check in station (off highway 33).
I'd guess you're looking at 3.5 hours from chattanooga..
There are campgrounds in the area.. they don't allow hunters to camp in the woods for some reason.. not sure what the rational is there.. but you have to camp in designated areas (plenty of them close by).
My buddy and I just started going in spring of 2012.. been trying to figure it out on our own. There are plenty of hogs out there.. just have to keep walkin into the wind.

TheRealSpurhunter

I'm confused, TN says that the presence of hogs destroys deer habitat, yet Black Warrior produces tremendous deer each year. Go figure. LOL

Now, that IM done with my sarcasm, that sounds like a bunch of fun, all except that hauling nonsense, they need to allow ATV retrieval.

DntBrnDPig

TheRealSpurhunter said:
I'm confused, TN says that the presence of hogs destroys deer habitat, yet Black Warrior produces tremendous deer each year. Go figure. LOL

Now, that IM done with my sarcasm, that sounds like a bunch of fun, all except that hauling nonsense, they need to allow ATV retrieval.

There was a MeatEater episode that Steven talked about the fact that the complaints where that hogs were changing the landscape - but pointed out all the cattle and how they've changed the landscape too. It's all about perspective I guess. I dont think we will ever get rid of the hogs or the excuses that they damage deer habitats. All I know is I have trail cam pictures of hogs and less than an hour later have a field full of deer.

fishboy1

Looks like a great hunt! Congrats on the pork.

I used to live in Central FL. Pigs and deer galore. Of course the habitat is totally different there.

Used to hog hunt a sod farm. A pack of hogs would do $20,000 damage in just one night.

If they can root up that much grass, imagine what they can do to a bean field or corn patch.

The #2 product from TN is Row Crops so that is a major reason for trying to keep a lid on hogs in our state. If we had half the hogs FL/AL/LA/GA does, they would bankrupt 2/3 of the TN farmers in under 5 years.

MarshallCountyChestnut

EastTNHunter said:
What do licenses cost for an out-of-state hunter for this kind of hunt?

Jeez! And I thought TN was sticking it to us alabamians! Here's the link. Prices are OUTRAGEOUS!
http://www.outdooralabama.com/licenses/huntlicinfo%5C

HOWEVER! if you used a 22LR, you could technically be "squirrel hunting" and only go for the small game license, since hogs can be taken incidentally to any other game (using the legal equipment for harvest)

TheRealSpurhunter

SuperSquatchy said:
EastTNHunter said:
What do licenses cost for an out-of-state hunter for this kind of hunt?

Jeez! And I thought TN was sticking it to us alabamians! Here's the link. Prices are OUTRAGEOUS!
http://www.outdooralabama.com/licenses/huntlicinfo%5C

HOWEVER! if you used a 22LR, you could technically be "squirrel hunting" and only go for the small game license, since hogs can be taken incidentally to any other game (using the legal equipment for harvest)

Yessir. $300 for a non resident, they are sure trying to keep us out of there aint they?

Latest posts