Black Powder project...

BuckWild

Picked up two 1868 Remington Model 1 rolling block rifles last week. They look rough but all I have in the pair is $50. All the moving parts work just need some cosmetic work done. Both barrels look good with plenty of rifling left in them. I think they are chambered in .50-70 but I'm gonna have to check into that. :D :D
Anyway I hope to put one of them to work this upcoming primitive weapon hunt.

P1010286.JPG

P1010287.JPG

Wobblyshot1

I can't believe you've only got $50 in them. The actions alone are worth way more than that. What a find!

The 50-70 was a US gov round that was first chambered in the early trapdoor springfields. Buffalo Bill Cody used one in that caliber to slay numerous bison thus giving him his famous name. He gave this rifle a famous name as well...."Lucrecia Borgia".

BuckWild

Verified this morning that they are Remington Model 1 Rolling Block New York State Militia model chambered in .50-70 Govt.

Guess I need to start looking for brass. I totally disassembled one of them this morning and it would appear that they were never blued. The barrel under the forearm was shiny bright as was the barrel under the rear sight. Had to lightly sand down the wood to get the mildew funk off it. I'm gonna rub in some boiled linseed oil on the wood and then hit it with some quad 0 steel wool. The bore looks great and there is very little lead buildup. Barrel looks great on the inside as well.

Chaneylake

BuckWild said:
Verified this morning that they are Remington Model 1 Rolling Block New York State Militia model chambered in .50-70 Govt.

Guess I need to start looking for brass. I totally disassembled one of them this morning and it would appear that they were never blued. The barrel under the forearm was shiny bright as was the barrel under the rear sight. Had to lightly sand down the wood to get the mildew funk off it. I'm gonna rub in some boiled linseed oil on the wood and then hit it with some quad 0 steel wool. The bore looks great and there is very little lead buildup. Barrel looks great on the inside as well.

Buffalo Arms has anything that you need in Black Powder

1-208-263-6953

they also have a web site where you can give them a looky see

BuckWild

Thanks for all the info guys. I took it completely apart yesterday and I must say I'm amazed at the close tolerances on this weapon considering it is over 140 years old. The fit of the trigger assembly into the receiver is almost unbelievable. The manufacturing facility must have been state of the art for it's time.

Chaneylake

if there is lead in the barrel "pure turpentine" is one of the better ways to remove, wet a patch and push her through and let her stay wet for a while, then run a patch through her again, patch will either come out clean or have specks of lead on it. sometimes you might have to cork the end of barrel and pour barrel full of turpentine