Black Mouth Cur Dog Opinions

lpo1981

Posted this in the "Serious Deer Hunting" section but will try it in the general forum. Anyone have any input on the black mouth cur breed or experience training them. I have an oppurtunity to get an 8 week old black mouth cur puppy and am looking to train to shed hunt and possible blood track. Is this obtainable with this breed? I don't have much knowledge other than what google tells me. Seems like there more used for bay dogs and freeing coons and squirrels. Thanks

Ahuntin1

I love mine. She doesn't blood track, she trails and winds the deer. I doubt she would pick up sheds. Retrieving is not a strong chatecteristic of the breed. Probably the best yard dog a man could ever have.

Bullfrog

Great dogs with an excellent nose. Never heard of one used for shed hunting, but i'd imagine you can train it to

magician

Have a year old female that my son got. She's not one of the bigger varieties about 30 pounds. She will chase anything from the occasional squirrel to a butterfly. Keep em active and with more chew toys than you can imagine. Tennessee Jed is right they are great with kids and will adapt to other pets.

CATCHDAWG

My user name is after these dogs! I raised and hunted with them for years. All mine were big game dogs used for hog and bear, Weatherfords Ben line. I can answer questions as far as breed characteristics go, but probably not much help when it comes to shed hunting and what not... Lol

lpo1981

Thanks for the input, bein good around kids is a big thing since I have a 2y/o and 4y/o... But i want a dog that I can work with and train that when out it won't chase anything that moves.. I know dogs especially black mouth curs have a good prey drive.. I'm pretty confident that I can work with one of these an accomplish what I'm wanting.. I want a good dog for my kids to be around but a dog I can enjoy myself and do some shed hunting with and not worry about her chasing deer into the next zipcode.

CATCHDAWG

Tony USMC said:
Hey catch, is there a big difference Lader BMC and weatherfords BBC?
Yes, the Ladner dogs are mainly tree dogs and not as gritty or aggressive on game. The Weatherfords or FBCO dogs are mostly bred for big game, catch and stock dogs. Not saying either can't be crossed over but they are different.

Latest posts