Black Bear - Looking for a hunting partner

I have a couple spots I'm looking at but no firm plans as of yet. I've never got one and can't say I have any idea what I'm doing but they're my primary target till late October this year. I'm going to be trying to get one early this year with the bow. We'll see! I've done quite a bit of scouting so far this year now I'm just waiting to see where the acorns are gonna be. I'm in Knox county just reach out and let me know!

Atchman2

I am not even sure how you hunt them without dogs or baiting? The ones I know where they are at, prey on my deer feeders! I will likely just bait like crazy and stop at the appropriate point so that I am 100% legal. The good thing though is I may actually get some hogs to shoot at again!

timberjack86

I am not even sure how you hunt them without dogs or baiting? The ones I know where they are at, prey on my deer feeders! I will likely just bait like crazy and stop at the appropriate point so that I am 100% legal. The good thing though is I may actually get some hogs to shoot at again!
White oak acorns, earlier in the season the better. They will be up in the trees eating like squirrels around the first of September in the higher elevations

PickettSFHunter

Pretty sure I should be able to shoot one from my porch this year 😂

Attachments

• 896B3DE2-5BCC-4BA2-8842-F17E2B970E7E.jpeg
    896B3DE2-5BCC-4BA2-8842-F17E2B970E7E.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 59
Haha lucky dog!

If the leaves aren't terribly crunchy I'll just still hunt with the wind in my face. Otherwise I'll just be covering miles looking for sign and setting up I guess.

I might try my hand at calling but I'm not sure how that will work just yet or how I feel about one sneaking up behind me lol

This one liked my trophy rock!
View attachment 181583
That's a monster. I've been getting mostly young bears running around in front of mine (except one that seems mature). Hoping that changes. As soon as I started getting pics of them though my pics of deer went down dramatically. I don't know how any fawns survive with all these bear running around. Another reason I want to figure out how to kill one and do my part to help out the herd lol

Attachments

• 7EC61F96-DFC8-4E1B-BA0C-88C6EFB3EE0D.jpeg
    7EC61F96-DFC8-4E1B-BA0C-88C6EFB3EE0D.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 37

timberjack86

That's a monster. I've been getting mostly young bears running around in front of mine (except one that seems mature). Hoping that changes. As soon as I started getting pics of them though my pics of deer went down dramatically. I don't know how any fawns survive with all these bear running around. Another reason I want to figure out how to kill one and do my part to help out the herd lol
I've not experienced that, and believe me I was expecting it. I know the bear work on the deer pretty hard Almost as soon as the bear walks off the deer come back. I figured they would head for the hills myself. I've seen deer and bear minutes apart hunting in the national forest too.

Atchman2

I hate those things. I saw one in the government pig trap the other day! He was tearing up the corn. Since the government is tossing out the corn and attracting them, I should just stake out the trap! 🤪
(We have a pig trap on the property that some government agency maintains. I don't actually know who it is. My friend says USDA-could be).

They never set the trap unless there is a sounder of hogs in the area. There are two MONSTER boars visiting it and hopefully today or tomorrow I'm going to take one of them out. :)

swd

I would love to head east for a bear hunt! Let me know some scouting dates. I'll see what I can do to get over there.

timberjack86

Take it for what it's worth guys but if it was me I'd start scouting the mountains in the higher elevations to see which white oaks Thier climbing. All this sign was found about 2 weeks after it was made. If the signs not smoking hot it's best to move on because once the bears finish feeding on a ridge they may move a few hundred yards or several miles away to another grove of white oaks.
IMG_20220925_080357444.jpg
IMG_20220925_080457315.jpg
IMG_20220925_111855303.jpg

IMG_20220925_080113888.jpg
IMG_20220925_110503327.jpg

Latest posts