Birthday Sadness

L

landman

My mother called me yesterday morning to tell me Happy Birthday, as we were talking I commented about the picture of the buck Daddy have texted me he killed while I was out of town earlier in the week. She said it really got him down, he had trouble dragging it out and fell as he pulled it over a log, by the time he got home he told her he guess he had to quit Hunting. He turned 80 this year, killed his first turkey ever in bow season with a xbow, has always been Heathy, Fit, Hard worker, no smoke or drink, but has started having blood sugar issues and they watch his heart and blood circulation.

He tagged out with this buck, I commented he could have gotten the tractor to use loader for the buck and she replied he said getting it in the truck wasn’t a problem...I know it was a 130lb 9 ptr that I wouldn’t just throw it the truck myself easily. He hunts a lot by himself, but I’m not letting him quit, I’ve got several nice warm shooting houses I can drive the truck right up to them. He takes Pride in being the first one to the cabin and is setting on the couch waiting when I get there in the mornings, even when I’m hunting he doesn’t call or text to say I’ve shot one come help, he wants to be back at shop waiting with it in his truck.

As I look at turning 58 yesterday it hit me harder wondering how long both my parents will be around, myself going thru Cancer worries them to death I know. It was hard dealing with that yesterday, I know many of you have commented over the years about your fathers already gone and missing them around while hunting,

Thanks for allowing me to speak about it

MUP

MUP

Supporter
My Dad has been gone since 1998. Yes, help him all you can to continue to hunt, and to be with him in every other way you can manage as well.

M

Mike Belt

I can relate to this. I'll be 68 on my next birthday. Since crushing my hip I can't walk like I'm accustomed to and now I've had stints in the heart and my stamina is shot. I've always been one to have to see what's over the next ridge and to seek the deer out if they weren't using the area I was hunting. I simply can't do it anymore. Now I hunt areas close to the road minimizing any drag I might have and if they don't produce I have dismal success. I can't get after them like I was up until this point and it really takes much of the "hunt" out of hunting. I never thought I'd be thinking about giving up deer hunting.

Big Ben

Big Ben

I am starting to feel like your dad. Near 71 years old, killed a ton of deer and turkeys. I went out a handful of times this year knowing with my heart conditions if I did kill one I would have to make that call for help. This is coming from a man who thought nothing of dragging one until the hair was gone on one side to get it out. The thought goes thru my mind if I kill one now I got to mess with it and I let a lot of deer I would have shot walk. This year I put out a ton of ear corn (legal in Ky) and just enjoyed watching deer come in and eat not knowing I was sitting in that heated box 12 ft in the air 70 yards away. Catch myself going up and down the stairs one step at a time to reach that platform the box is on.
I think we all will reach that point at one time.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
That was my biggest concern when I moved 4 months ago. My dad is 55 so definitely not old yet but 5,10, 20 years fly by and I've thought about that. I know he hasn't hunted near as much early season as usual and I know it's because I'm not there to go every time. He doesn't mind hunting alone but I know he likes it when I'm there. I hope he continues to go and doesn't lose interest.

S

Smo

I lost my Dad in 77’.

We never deer hunted together but fished and hunted small game while I was growing up.

Still miss him till this day.

If it were me I would sit him down and talk to him about his health and hunting in general.

Encourage him to continue hunting, use the tractor, add a lift to the atv if needed.

Most of all just ask for help when needed.

It hard for a Guy that’s always been self supportive too ask for help but there comes a time when it’s necessary if you really want to continue with certain things. Hunting being one of the things.

Since I fell in 08 things have changed . I’ve realized I just can’t do some of the things I’d always taken for granted.

9435_E0_C9_1_A45_4294_97_D8_4_E283_FA030_E4.png

Tractors sure make things a lot easier.

Snake

Snake

Reaching that level when you know your body don't cooperate with your mind is a difficult realization to a hunter used to going to that stand no one else wants to use . Those who have been used to going to a stand were you don't even think of how you are going to get a deer out just that you are going to kill that buck , now your thinking of that I'm not going to shoot one on that side of the ridge cause ain't no way I can get it out . Age will creep up hopefully on each of us and your body will wear down but injuries you shake off when you are young come to haunt you in your older years . Guys take care of your body don't think they are giving out new ones yet :D . Enjoy your youth while it is that because we can't escape what is coming sure we can put it off by taking vitamins , supplements and just taking care of yourself but it will come .

7mm08

7mm08

I hear exactly what everyone is saying here and certainly feel for those that have lost love ones in the woods but please think about this. Walking uphill carrying stands packs and especially dragging out a dead weight such as a deer is ONE HECK OF A STRESS TEST on your heart. Get a physical. If you have a family history of heart disease you are at high risk to have it too. Most of us are pretty sedentary until this time of year. We walk around with blockages in our hearts that don’t effect you UNTIL you stress it, and then sometimes it is fatal. I hear all the time from patinas “ I thought I was just getting older and slowing down”. If this is you and you have a strong family history of heart disease +\- smoke, high cholesterol you have heart disease until proven negative. This is not my opinion but fact. Take care of yourselves so that you can enjoy this sport and this life that we are given.

mrjim43

mrjim43

First time in 45 years that I did not pick up my bow and hunt and only hunted 2 or 3 time during muzzleloader season. Have not even picked ups the 270 yet..At 74 year it ain't what it used to be.Had both knees replaced year and half ago and just ain't been the same. Being over weight has not helped either. Can't walk very far with out giving out. Walk 75 yards and I have to stop and rest and I find it hard to climb my ladder stand stands like I used too....BUT Life goes on.....