Bird Flu

AT Hiker

In a nut shell, wild birds are now carrying the highly pathogenic strain vs the general/less pathogenic strains they normal carry.

"Wyoming's patient zero arrived at the state's Wildlife Health Laboratory in late March. Someone found the Canada goose dead in Bighorn County. The test came back positive for the deadly H5N1, a strain of avian influenza killing birds across the globe.

Since then, cases have popped up in magpies, great-horned owls, vultures and hawks from Jackson and Cody to Douglas and Laramie. In early April, the flu killed 11 wild turkeys near Buffalo. On Wednesday the Powell Tribune reported the Wyoming Game and Fish Department killed its broodstock of pheasants at its bird farm near Sheridan out of an "abundance of caution."

Here is another article about it as well.

@fulldraw

The avian flu is in TN. There's been several cases run through chicken farms. I've been saying for a couple years this has affected the turkeys in some way.

Setterman

I'm not saying it's "the" cause. I'm saying it's having an affect on turkeys. The total decline in population has many factors.
If it was having an impact why aren't we finding piles of feathers etc? We all spend tons of time in the woods. If this was a real thing we'd all be posting pictures of dead birds or evidence of dead birds.

@fulldraw

If it was having an impact why aren't we finding piles of feathers etc? We all spend tons of time in the woods. If this was a real thing we'd all be posting pictures of dead birds or evidence of dead birds.
You obviously didn't read the Meateater article. Lack of finding dead birds is addressed. Like I said, just my opinion, but it is playing a role.

Setterman

You obviously didn't read the Meateater article. Lack of finding dead birds is addressed. Like I said, just my opinion, but it is playing a role.
In full disclosure I did not read the article, but will.

Hard to have a discussion when one side didn't read any of the information 😂

catman529

If that's the case then why haven't we found evidence of dead birds in areas that saw a huge decline? It's nothing for a coyote to pick up a dead turkey and drag it back to its den.

Latest posts