• Help Support TNDeer:

Bills introduced in TN to elect six of the 13 TFWC members

BSK

Much will come down to who sportsmen and women elect to the Commission. Are they just high-profile people in the hunting industry (read: those with a monetary link to hunting and fishing), or are they hunters and fishermen/women concerned with the long-term viability of the resources?

TAFKAP

These bills have nothing to do with electing commissioners or halting the duck blind vote. Does anyone have a link to that info? It kind of sounds like Griffey is trying to sell us a bag of ****.

While the original text of the post is agreeable, I find nothing in HB1094/SB0999 that even comes close to that amount of leeway or consideration

HOUSE BILL 1094 By Griffey HB1094 003402 - 1 - AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 2; Title 4; Title 8; Title 69 and Title 70, relative to the Tennessee fish and wildlife commission. BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE: SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 70-1-206(a)(7), is amended by deleting the language:

Further, the commission shall report actions taken on permits, licenses, and fees to be assessed following the promulgation of the proposed rules and regulations to the energy, agriculture and natural resources committee of the senate and to the agriculture and natural resources committee of the house of representatives.

and substituting instead the language:
Further, the commission shall report actions taken on permits, licenses, and fees to be assessed following the promulgation of the proposed rules to the energy, agriculture and natural resources committee of the senate, the agriculture and natural resources committee of the house of representatives, the judiciary committee of the senate, and the criminal justice committee of the house of representatives. SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.

TheLBLman

Much will come down to who sportsmen and women elect to the Commission. Are they just high-profile people in the hunting industry (read: those with a monetary link to hunting and fishing), or are they hunters and fishermen/women concerned with the long-term viability of the resources?
I agree.
Would like to see people on the commission with broad-based knowledge of hunting, fishing, conservation, and coming from the perspective & genuine interest for the more typical person funding the TWRA thru license sales.

However, am not sure having some "high-profile" people from "somewhat" within the industry would be as bad, at least no worse, than political elites primarily appointed due to their political campaign contributions?

That said, most of those currently appointed do have some specialized knowledge and true personal interests in the future of TN's hunting, fishing, and conservation issues. We currently may have already somewhat a fair mix of all the above, but have no doubt the more "average" license person may be the least "represented".

We also do not need anyone who would over-represent the primary interests of any particular faction. Every aspect of this needs a certain "balance", and I personally believe the current Commission has been doing at least a fair job in that respect overall.

Just "like" the idea of some on the Commission not being more about politics in general than the issues typically decided by the Commission.

TheLBLman

I nominate SCN ---- very few TN sportsmen are more "rounded" in so many hunting & fishing activities, and he has actually been present for the majority of all the Commission meetings held during the past two or three decades.

He is in a good position to see all 3 sides of any issue needing the Commission's decision, and already extremely familiar with the process.

waynesworld

This may be a caption bill, it opens a section of the TCA and may get moved to a different committee or will get amended in that committee when there is an agreement to the full contents. This is a common practice of the reps. The caption is not always what a bill is. The house and senate both have there deadlines to submit original bills and then they amend them. You will see some legislatures put in broad captions so the bill can be used for anything. The original bill just has to open the section of TCA.

BSK

I nominate SCN ---- very few TN sportsmen are more "rounded" in so many hunting & fishing activities, and he has actually been present for the majority of all the Commission meetings held during the past two or three decades.

He is in a good position to see all 3 sides of any issue needing the Commission's decision, and already extremely familiar with the process.
I second that motion!

Oh, scn just said no. Well damn...

WTM

sounds like he wants approval from senate subcommittee before raising license fees. if they do that then what is to keep them enacting another bill to raid TWRA’s coffers.

MickThompson

If this passes, nothing unpopular that needs to be done will get done. You introduce the incentive to get re-elected, you’ll get spineless politicians.

Forget delaying the turkey season or lowering the limit to 2 birds. Commission might even vote to allow baiting deer outside of CWD and CWD-adjacent counties, and it will never repeal it.
Exactly, like the always unpopular license increase. Raising license prices even when needed would be a quick way to get voted off this board. I think it would also set up an "us vs them" mentality within the commission between the appointed and elected commissioners.

flyinpro

Supporter
Wow, didn’t think the locals in WTN would be so loud to deny other ETN hunters a better opportunity or a fair one just to maybe draw taxpayer owned duck blind for just 3-4 days.

MickThompson

Wow, didn’t think the locals in WTN would be so loud to deny other ETN hunters a better opportunity or a fair one just to maybe draw taxpayer owned duck blind for just 3-4 days.
In this vein, there are more hunters in east TN than in any other region. If a portion of the commission is elected, they'd be able to stack the commission in their favor instead of the current makeup of the commission being from across the state.

TNGunsmoke

The issue is so much more involved than this. I, for one, don't care where you're from, and the blind draw process is what it is, and will be whatever they decide. The bigger issue is the way they've written up the proposal, the safety issues it creates, and several other factors. Also the fact that they've written in a process to change the designation for a the blinds every 2 years if they so desire. The proposal, as written, will result in fewer actual blinds in the long term, lower hunter satisfaction, and reduced opportunity in the long run. I think they're rushing things to try to put something in place for the upcoming season. Put it all on computerized draw with the changes to that process that are in this, and table the rest for now. They need to actually set foot on every WMA, and visit each blind site to look at the unique challenges each presents, especially the proposed Tier 2 blind sites. Then they need to talk to folks that actually hunt these locations to learn how they are accessed, and under what conditions they can be accessed based on water levels, what boat trails, and other factors.

RUGER

Supporter
The issue is so much more involved than this. I, for one, don't care where you're from, and the blind draw process is what it is, and will be whatever they decide. The bigger issue is the way they've written up the proposal, the safety issues it creates, and several other factors. Also the fact that they've written in a process to change the designation for a the blinds every 2 years if they so desire. The proposal, as written, will result in fewer actual blinds in the long term, lower hunter satisfaction, and reduced opportunity in the long run. I think they're rushing things to try to put something in place for the upcoming season. Put it all on computerized draw with the changes to that process that are in this, and table the rest for now. They need to actually set foot on every WMA, and visit each blind site to look at the unique challenges each presents, especially the proposed Tier 2 blind sites. Then they need to talk to folks that actually hunt these locations to learn how they are accessed, and under what conditions they can be accessed based on water levels, what boat trails, and other factors.
EXACTLY.

tickweed

I agree. SCN. all the way.