• Help Support TNDeer:

Bills introduced in TN to elect six of the 13 TFWC members

woodyard

75th district Rep. Bruce Griffey filed house Bill 1094 and Sen John Stevens is sponsoring its counter part, Senate Bill 999, in the TN Senate. These call for hunters to elect six of the thirteen members of the TN Fish and Wildlife Commission instead of the Governor appointing them.

It also calls for these to be elected by Tennesseans holding a valid current hunting license or permit. Also halts any change to the procedures to conduct drawings for duck blinds until an election can be held for the TFWC members,

The house bill is set to be heard and voted upon by the House AG and Natural resources Subcommittee at 10:30 tomorrow(Tuesday) at the Capitol in House Hearing Room III.

They been getting an earful about the proposed changes to duck hunting.

Last edited:

woodyard

If you think this is good idea you need to be getting in contact with your representative and senator and voice your opinon. Personally I think this is the way it should have been all along instead of all political appointments.

Hduke86

That’s interesting cause when I sent emails to the governor and lieutenant governor Mr McNally and that was one of my biggest things saying these people have nothing to lose since they’re appointed and not elected and that we needed hunters and fishermen on the committee. Mr. McNally responded just a few days ago and said he understood my/our concerns.

Hduke86

B4027E3D-E70D-4657-8FCD-E88B7317911E.jpeg This his response

TAFKAP

75th district Rep. Bruce Griffey filed house Bill 1094 and Sen John Stevens is sponsoring its counter part, Senate Bill 999, in the TN Senate. These call for hunters to elect six of the thirteen members of the TN Fish and Wildlife Commission instead of the Governor appointing them.

It also calls for these to be elected by Tennesseans holding a valid current hunting license or permit. Also halts any change to the procedures to conduct drawings for duck blinds until an election can be held for the TFWC members,

The house bill is set to be heard and voted upon by the House AG and Natural resources Subcommittee at 10:30 tomorrow(Tuesday) at the Capitol in House Hearing Room III.

They been getting an earful about the proposed changes to duck hunting.

WOW

Shots have definitely been fired. I support this legislation

TAFKAP

Here's the text of HB1094

HOUSE BILL 1094 By Griffey HB1094 003402 - 1 - AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 2; Title 4; Title 8; Title 69 and Title 70, relative to the Tennessee fish and wildlife commission. BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE: SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 70-1-206(a)(7), is amended by deleting the language:

Further, the commission shall report actions taken on permits, licenses, and fees to be assessed following the promulgation of the proposed rules and regulations to the energy, agriculture and natural resources committee of the senate and to the agriculture and natural resources committee of the house of representatives.

and substituting instead the language:
Further, the commission shall report actions taken on permits, licenses, and fees to be assessed following the promulgation of the proposed rules to the energy, agriculture and natural resources committee of the senate, the agriculture and natural resources committee of the house of representatives, the judiciary committee of the senate, and the criminal justice committee of the house of representatives. SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.

woodyard

I gave info from a newspaper article written by Griffey or his staff inThe ParisPost-Intelligencer dated March 1. I looked at the info for legislature and did not see it in there. I doubt that the info I was looking at is complete language for the bill. I emailed him last night and received a reply early this morning already.

younggun308

If this passes, nothing unpopular that needs to be done will get done. You introduce the incentive to get re-elected, you’ll get spineless politicians.

Forget delaying the turkey season or lowering the limit to 2 birds. Commission might even vote to allow baiting deer outside of CWD and CWD-adjacent counties, and it will never repeal it.

Hduke86

If this passes, nothing unpopular that needs to be done will get done. You introduce the incentive to get re-elected, you’ll get spineless politicians.

Forget delaying the turkey season or lowering the limit to 2 birds. Commission might even vote to allow baiting deer outside of CWD and CWD-adjacent counties, and it will never repeal it.
I get what you’re saying but if TRUE hunters and conservationists get appointed it would at least be a powerful voice on the commission. I don’t see how being on this commission will be that big of a advantage in life like most political places where they can line their pockets. I also believe that hopefully if this passes that there will be some hard discussions on things that need changes and that they will be more opened to listening to the public and what the state of Tennessee needs for wildlife and ITS residents.

HatchieLuvr

Glad I don't depend on the govt to make a duck blind accessible to me!

Sounds like ALOT of hooplah, time and re$ource$ are being wasted (IMO) over this whole issue of public blind drawings...

Lets spend that time and re$ource$ instead opening up the refuges to hunting (or getting rid of them!). West TN duck hunting is but a pittance of what it used to be years ago and primarily so because of said refuges which have altered flight patterns and bird behavior!

younggun308

I get what you’re saying but if TRUE hunters and conservationists get appointed it would at least be a powerful voice on the commission. I don’t see how being on this commission will be that big of a advantage in life like most political places where they can line their pockets. I also believe that hopefully if this passes that there will be some hard discussions on things that need changes and that they will be more opened to listening to the public and what the state of Tennessee needs for wildlife and ITS residents.

I do think that insofar as Commission decisions impact guiding services, high-end leases, and to a lesser extent sporting goods sales there will be plenty of people willing to give a commissioner a “handshake.” There’s plenty of money at stake in the private sector.

Other than this, I think some (though likely not most) will see a commission seat as a stepping-stone position.

Buzzard Breath

These bills have nothing to do with electing commissioners or halting the duck blind vote. Does anyone have a link to that info? It kind of sounds like Griffey is trying to sell us a bag of ****.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts