Bill O’Brien

PillsburyDoughboy

Me personally I am glad he is gone. Always hate to see a state of uncertainty in the program. Saban has been there before and knows what to do. He is the GOAT.

PalsPal

Hmm, so he's not good enough for Bama, but he's a perfect fit for the Patriots?

Makes perfect sense 👌!

With that said, I also believe O'Brien's play-calling was too simplistic and predictable at times. The time to get creative is when there are any talent deficiencies to mask, and Alabama fans just didn't see enough of it over the past two seasons. Jones and the Patriots could sure use O'Brien in the NFL though.

Bamamonts

I think his offense is better suited for the NFL and the Patriots definitely need an OC.
I hope he does good at the patriots.
I'd like to see Freddie Kitchens get the OC job. He's been around and has some good football knowledge.

PalsPal

Hmm, so he's not good enough for Bama, but he's a perfect fit for the Patriots?

Just read an article mentioning what I did above.

The conclusion of the writer is that Bama fans needed a scapegoat for the poor showing this year.

My takeaway from that was that 52-49 played a HUGE part in Saban firing two coordinators 😋 !

PillsburyDoughboy

So the #2 team* in the country runs off both is OC and DC?

*per Saban
Saban actually showed a vote of confidence in BOB back in December. The offense seemed boringly predictable at times. Poor development on receivers. #1 Quarterback in the NCAA and could not put up the stats says alot.

On the Defense side of the ball ALABAMA has not had the sort of crushing defense since the Kirby years and the Pruitt years. Something they so need to get back to.

When you are in two big games and you just need one drive to close out the game and can't get there....... Not surprised in changes being made.

Mescalero

Losing BOB could fall into the "be careful what you wish for" category. I think O'Brien's move back to the NFL is what he's been planning since he got fired by the Texans. He was a good coach, but a horrible GM, and has always been an NFL guy except for his early years and the post-Sandusky/Paterno "savior" role. I personally think the issue for Alabama on offense the last two seasons has been the lack of development of the WR room and the mind boggling issues with the 5 stars on the O line.

I expect Saban to go the NFL route for both his new coordinators. There's been a cycle between NFL and college offenses and defenses and that cycle is now NFL influencing the college game whereas 5+ years ago it was the opposite. I think Saban sees how Kirby Smart hiring Todd Monken is what put Georgia over the top. IMO Saban saw that in O'Brien, which boggles my mind as to why he isn't addressing the WR and OL coaching. And NFL defenses, namely Bengals and Ravens, are showing how to control the dynamic downfield, spread, and RPO-based college offenses that have become the norm in the NFL starting with the 2017 draft. Who knows. We'll see. Saban doesn't strike me as a fun guy to work for and he's not getting any younger which makes hiring the right guys more difficult, but all of the success and that roster certainly is a strong counter-balance.

I was hoping Ryan Day would look to the Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay tree for his new OC, especially given that Zach Taylor's staff is just an hour and half down I-71 from Columbus (and Taylor seems to have figured out the new NFL defensive schemes). But, he promoted internally. The best WR coach in college won't necessarily be the best OC and if it's another Peter Principle hire by Day, he'll be gone.

PillsburyDoughboy

Losing BOB could fall into the "be careful what you wish for" category.
Right?

Not sure Saban wanted to see him go after giving a glowing endorsement of him back in December. Seemed like he had grown comfortable having him in that role. I am sure he did not listen to the fan base and administration in whatever is happening behind the scenes. He does things his way. The process. I sure hope that the next OC and DC are hard hitters. ALABAMA sure needs some GOATS in those roles. ALABAMA is the best job in the country and should have no problem attracting the best talent out there.

Trey13

Saban actually showed a vote of confidence in BOB back in December. The offense seemed boringly predictable at times. Poor development on receivers. #1 Quarterback in the NCAA and could not put up the stats says alot.

On the Defense side of the ball ALABAMA has not had the sort of crushing defense since the Kirby years and the Pruitt years. Something they so need to get back to.

When you are in two big games and you just need one drive to close out the game and can't get there....... Not surprised in changes being made.
Who was the #1 QB???? Wasn't a Bammer qb weirdo

Latest posts