Biggest deer of my life!

SES

Was standing at the end of the downed cedar tree. Couldn't get a shot for several reasons. Been sick since yesterday.
6762C342-C24B-4FA4-908E-EBCEB3065F5A.jpeg

fairchaser

It just wasn't your day. It happens a lot because deer live in thick places. One of the places I look for are places deer must cross that are open. A large mature buck will cross in daylight during the rut if they have to. This gives me the advantage I need to see the deer, judge the deer and make the shot. Catching a brief glance of a good buck doesn't help much. I hope you get him next time.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
If it makes you feel any better, my target buck has passed me chasing does 4 times the last two days and I have yet to pull off a shot. I know the sick feeling.
Thanksgiving day I saw the Big Boy in my woods 5 times in around 3 hours. He wasn't chasing but kept hovering around the same doe in a thicket browsing on Honey suckle. I'll feel better tomorrow if I bring him home with me.

Doecrusher

It happens and sucks but you know he's out there. Reminds me of a bow hunt where I had a buck at like 5 yds in crp while hunting off the ground. Thought I was gonna stick him shooting my compound instinctively and I ended up missing horribly. Launched the arrow like 2-3 ft in front of him. Still was a great hunt and lessened learned.

bigtex

Been there myself a couple of times. The last two times I had no idea a buck of that size even existed in my neck of the woods, and never saw them again. It's gut wrenching for sure!
Hopefully you'll get another chance at him. Good luck!!