Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC in discussions about forming alliance

Mescalero

Any effort that has Kevin Warren behind it should be questioned. That said, apparently Bill Delaney and Barry Alvarez were brought in as "consultants" on expansion, etc. And, the B1G hired Diana Sabau, Ohio State's former Senior Deputy AD, as deputy commissioner of the B1G. So, now there is adult supervision over Kevin "Wall of Self" Warren. And I think these guys got the chops - Jim Phillips, ACC commissioner and former Northwestern AD, and George Kliavkoff, PAC 12 commissioner and former president of MGM Resorts International. But the B1G will direct this effort. Bottom line is Sankey F'd up. And, Big 12 is finished.

Interesting article from Andy Staples in The Athletic. It's pay-walled, but I recommend a subscription. Good content.

https://theathletic.com/2772414/202...d-pac-12-its-all-about-tvs-four-million-club/

Here's a partial summary. Why would the B1G, which made $55M per school last year in media (#1 to the SEC's #2 $44M) want to create an alliance with the ACC ($37M) and PAC 12 ($33M)? According to Staples, the "Alliance" has nothing to do with expansion or mergers. Rather, its all about the "4 million club."

From 2015-2019 there were 1,593 rated telecasts of college football games. 198 of those had 4 million or more viewers. That's only 12% of the telecasts. Of those, 55 were SEC conf games and 49 were B1G conference games. The remainder were 13 ACC conf games and 58 interconference and independents. Only 13 schools had more than 10 games in the 4 million club: Bama 35, Ohio State 33, Michigan 26 were top 3. Six SEC schools, 4 B1G, Clemson, ND, Oklahoma were the 13. Notice, I didn't mention Texas, USC, FSU, Oregon, UW, Miami, aTm, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Wisconsin, Iowa, UCLA, etc. SEC will rue the day they brought Texas on board. Only three of the last five "Red River Shootouts" had 4 million or more viewers.

The Alliance is intended as a scheduling alliance that will create more 4 million viewer interconference match-ups and to be a voting block against the SEC and its new owner The Walt Disney Company.

Come 2024, NBC and CBS will be bidding along with Fox. ESPN will be shut out. Amazon, Hulu, Peacock, Paramount+ and other streaming services will be in on it. Sankey F'd up because there's no first mover advantage here and he brought on Texas.

Mescalero

I screwed up. Obviously, if six SEC teams have had at least 10 games with 4 million views during 2015-2019 and Alabama is one, there are five others.

But it's clear that there are two schools that drive the revenue - Alabama and Ohio State. Of the top 15 most viewed games since 2015, every game but one featured Alabama or Ohio State.

Displaced_Vol

C2D14858-658D-4916-B9B2-EC43182096BC.gif

I hear they've brought in consultants to strategize the forming of the alliance.

BamaProud

An alliance between the Pac-12, ACC and Big Ten is reportedly in final stages and slated for announcement next week, according to breaking news released on Friday by The Athletic.

I guess this is their answer to the SEC adding Texas the Oklahoma. Their plan seems to be to avoid scheduling the SEC in the regular season. Seems kinda silly to avoid playing about a dozen of the most popular teams in the Nation especially when you know you will eventually have to play them in the post-season.

Mescalero

This might help answer the question "why?"

I'm still skeptical about this. Personally, I think it's more of a shot across the bow aimed at The Walt Disney Company come 2024.

No way The Ohio State University, it's global alumni base, and it's fans would tolerate cancelling these games: 2025 vs Texas, 26 @ Texas, 27 vs Bama, 28 @ Bama, 30 @ UGA, 31 vs UGA.

PillsburyDoughboy

Interesting article. I read the article and it does seem like the numbers are hard to track down based on the criteria they mentioned. Certainly interesting to see how it all plays out though. Oklahoma Surprised me for sure .

1. Ohio State (5.19M)
  2. Alabama (5.09M)
  3. Michigan (4.18M)
  4. Notre Dame (3.61M)
  5. LSU (3.22M)
  6. Auburn (3.12M)
  7. Georgia (2.91M)
  8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
  9. Clemson (2.67M)
  10. Penn State (2.55M)

Mescalero

Fans opinions don't matter. Television deals are what matters. That is where the money comes from.
Exactly, and I think that's what this is about. 2025-26 when the CFP rights come up for bid. ESPN won't have an exclusive deal. And that's the American way. Or used to be. Competition.

PillsburyDoughboy

Mescalero

They Trying to show the SEC they not going to be pushed around so lightly
I think it has more to do with (1) B1G and PAC 12 network deals are coming back up for bid end of 2024 and this will be a "scheduling alliance" of some sort and the thought being the next network deals will be more attractive; and (2) it's a stand against ESPN having exclusive CFP rights (which is interesting because the ACC's network deal is with ESPN). Ohio State has home and home games scheduled over the next 6-7 years with Texas, Notre Dame, Georgia, and Alabama and those games aren't going away so as far as a "scheduling alliance" is concerned, I don't see anything really happening there until later this decade. What will probably happen is the B1G and PAC 12 reduce their conference schedule to 8 games to be like the ACC and SEC so that a marquee game of B1G vs ACC vs PAC 12 can be scheduled.

The only thing that is certain is the Big 12 is kaput.