Big Hog Down

Carlos

Left it where it fell.
I killed one almost that size last year. Luckily I had a buddy who came and helped me, because I couldn't budge it by myself.
We got it out and it weighed 228 lbs. I'd have bet it to be closer to 300.

The meat was fine, no strange taste at all. You could try and get help to haul it out.
Where are you located?

Carlos

Here's a pic of the one I shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211125-201046_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211125-201046_Facebook.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 45

dr

I killed one almost that size last year. Luckily I had a buddy who came and helped me, because I couldn't budge it by myself.
We got it out and it weighed 228 lbs. I'd have bet it to be closer to 300.

The meat was fine, no strange taste at all. You could try and get help to haul it out.
Where are you located?
Cumberland Co. I killed it Monday. I tried propping it up for a better pic, and couldn't move it. It would have taken a tractor or 3 or 4 men to lift. I'm deer hunting , and didn't want to disturb the area too much.

Carlos

Cumberland Co. I killed it Monday. I tried propping it up for a better pic, and couldn't move it. It would have taken a tractor or 3 or 4 men to lift. I'm deer hunting , and didn't want to disturb the area too much.
That's where mine was killed as well sir.

skipperbrown

A fellow gave me a tip on processing hogs instead of just leaving them: He said his club butchered them in the field for the shoulders and hams. I tried it on some smaller hogs and it worked out good to get the hams. We basically surgically removed the ham from the animal and left the rest. We cut down the back and around the butt, cut off the legs (having a sawsall in the truck really helps), then pulled the skin back and cut the ham out. Use the saws all again at the joint. It took about 20 minutes per hog to get the hams out.

In AL and I guess here in TN as well, hogs are considered domestic once you kill them and must be processed by a USDA inspected processor not in the same area as deer. Most deer processors don't have separate facilities and if you don't have a place to butcher a hog, getting the meat is problematic. However, getting some of the meat while in the field is a workable solution.

Harold Money jr

Killed this 250-275lb boar a while ago, some guys told us we were crazy to even move it because it would be stanky but, I had to try. The meat turned out AWESOME, we were very skeptical and took a slice off the tenderloin and fried it immediately my friend said you’ll know immediately as it will sicken you with the smell. It turned out no smell and taste was great so we butchered it. Everything off this hog is just like a domestic just a bit tougher and leaner. Came from Royal Blue WMA btw.

Attachments

• 6FC9EF5A-6B45-4E88-AD1F-60044F3BE052.jpeg
    6FC9EF5A-6B45-4E88-AD1F-60044F3BE052.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 20

Carlos

Killed this 250-275lb boar a while ago, some guys told us we were crazy to even move it because it would be stanky but, I had to try. The meat turned out AWESOME, we were very skeptical and took a slice off the tenderloin and fried it immediately my friend said you’ll know immediately as it will sicken you with the smell. It turned out no smell and taste was great so we butchered it. Everything off this hog is just like a domestic just a bit tougher and leaner. Came from Royal Blue WMA btw.
I think most people have heard the same wives tale about hog meat being bad. I had the same experience as you, with a 228# boar. He was an old one, GW said he was past breeding age and so had less hormones that came cause an offensive taste.

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
Congrats. The biggest I’ve killed out of 200 or so had been castrated by hog doggers. I would have swore it was 400 but the scales said 295. Still just a ridiculous amount of dead weight.

dr

A fellow gave me a tip on processing hogs instead of just leaving them: He said his club butchered them in the field for the shoulders and hams. I tried it on some smaller hogs and it worked out good to get the hams. We basically surgically removed the ham from the animal and left the rest. We cut down the back and around the butt, cut off the legs (having a sawsall in the truck really helps), then pulled the skin back and cut the ham out. Use the saws all again at the joint. It took about 20 minutes per hog to get the hams out.

In AL and I guess here in TN as well, hogs are considered domestic once you kill them and must be processed by a USDA inspected processor not in the same area as deer. Most deer processors don't have separate facilities and if you don't have a place to butcher a hog, getting the meat is problematic. However, getting some of the meat while in the field is a workable solution.
Great advice! I'm going to get a smoker, and start cooking them.