Big Blue Cat

Pilchard

I'd put it back. I chased records for a short time. Never got the thrill of it.

I was on the boat when the world record hammerhead was caught in boca grande pass. We hauled it to the dock, had it weighed and then buried it with a backhoe in an orange grove. Never was interested in chasing records after that experience.

Worst part is I don't think my buddy ever filled out the IGFA paperwork.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I'd have probably not ever thought about it being a record, taken a few pictures of it, and slipped it right back in the river. We rarely ever keep anything much bigger than about 15 pounds.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
That is one of the things Texas does right with bass. They take it to the lunker bunker and it becomes one of the main breeding fish for their stocking program. Not sure that someone is sticking that behemoth in a Livewell though!!

Planking

Ive caught a few over 50. I broke 80 once. I have always thrown them back. Plenty of bait stealers in there to eat and they aren't near as much fun to catch for yourself or another angler.

Bad habit

Being from Mississippi I hope he gets the recognition he deserves. All the Facebook game wardens are probably flipping out that he kept it.

Any catfish over about 8 pounds coming out of the Mississippi River south of the Ohio or anything in the delta is absolutely chock full of Mercury and PCBs. No way in hell would I eat anything out of the Mississippi.

Ed Cude

This has been a discussion between several of us members this mornin. Kill this fish just to be in a record book or release?

Personally, I don't see the use in killing a fish that old. Record or not, a fish that size should have been released to fight another day.

The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks Fisheries Bureau has certified a new state record blue catfish. Eugene Cronley, the lucky angler from Brandon, caught the 131 pound fish on April 7, 2022 from the Mississippi River near Natchez. Mr. Cronley said that it took him forty minutes to land the huge fish, "it is truly a fish of a lifetime."

The fish shattered the previous rod and reel record of 95 lbs. caught by Dakota Hinson in 2009 and is larger than the trophy record blue catfish of 101 lbs. caught by the team of Freddie Parker and Brad Smith in 1997. Interestingly, both of those fish were also caught from the Mississippi River near Natchez.

Mr. Cronely caught the fish with a rod and reel using skipjack herring as bait.
Great jobs . Congratulations on the record. Nice fish .

00bucshot

Being from Mississippi I hope he gets the recognition he deserves. All the Facebook game wardens are probably flipping out that he kept it.

Any catfish over about 8 pounds coming out of the Mississippi River south of the Ohio or anything in the delta is absolutely chock full of Mercury and PCBs. No way in hell would I eat anything out of the Mississippi.
Totally agree !!

Flintlocksforme

This has been a discussion between several of us members this mornin. Kill this fish just to be in a record book or release?

Personally, I don't see the use in killing a fish that old. Record or not, a fish that size should have been released to fight another day.

I see your point about CPR, catch, photograph, release. I did that with a 57 inch blue with a 36 girth. Estimated at 95 pounds in mid July, freshly spawned out and skinny Fish had made many contributions to the TN River at Kingston on Watts Bar already. It would have pushed the 108 mark easy pre spawn. No big deal. It just felt like the right thing to do. Any way I have no problem catching spawning cats and eating young cats. Barely even had a chance to live. What else is a 100 pound plus cat going to accomplish. Some cultures value elderly over babies, some value babies over elderly. In America we get to choose.

gasman

It's a dang catfish there are plenty of them

I assure you when I catch the state record flathead

I will keep it and feed it to @gasman
He won't know any difference
Believe Angels In The Outfield GIF

Latest posts