BH209

paboom

I still use BH209, but not near as frequently as I did when it first came out. It's a good powder but the cost per shot and the extra cleaning of the breach plug makes me use other subs more often.

paboom

FrontierGander said:
only the crazy go back to the old stuff.

Or those who don't like spending extra money
Or those who can get the same results from other subs
Or those who have guns that won't shoot it reliably
Or those who don't like drilling out breach plugs
Or those who find it just as easy to clean up the other subs

bassinbrian

I just got some bh209, what are the down sides to this powder? is clean up a issue, is white hots a better choice? I shoot a tc encore with a 250gr sst bullett, what load do you guys suggest? I've only heard good things about bh209, is loading and clean up really that different from 13ggg?

ratsnakeboogy

It's personal preference, but I won't go back. My guns shoot cleaner with it, clean up is easy using regular solvent, and performance is better.

Some guns won't group with it, but they are few and far between from what I've seen. Pay a little extra attention to the flame channel in the breech plug and you are good to go.

As far as cost, most people don't shoot enough sub-powder in a year to feel the extra cost. If you shoot a lot it will be more expensive, but still worth it to me. I have one gun that I can't use it reliably in, that one still eats 777 3F and it takes 3 times as long to clean.

iowavf

Not sure if it works better than 777 which I was using, but my Encore is a lot cleaner using the BH209. I was shooting 5 or 6 times with the 777 before swabbing because I didn't like to clean between shots when hunting. With BH209 I've shot 15 times without any issues.

Ed B

I just switched this weekend from 777 pellets to BH209 in my tc impact and all I can say is wow!

I put on a new scope and had to get it sighted in so I figured it was as good a time as any to make the change and see if it was worth it. Shot ten times with no zero cleaning between shots, the most time consuming part of the day was measuring the powder. It took me 30 minutes but got it sighted in 2" high at 50 yards so should be good to go and the best part was the cleanup.

Previously I dreaded cleaning my ml with the pellets, such a pain. This took two patches with hoppes #9 solvent and it was good as new, followed up with a dry patch and then one with some lubrication and I was done. Cleanup took less then 5 minutes including the breech plug and I couldn't be happier, thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Latest posts