Best time of day.

Nsghunter

I may be able to scratch a little hunting time into the schedule on this Wed. I will have about 4 hours in the field. Would the morning ( like first light) be best or would more towards midday into the afternoon be a better try? Or should I stick it out for a last light hunt? Last light would be a very unlikely option for my schedule?

It will be in East TN on a hunter pressured WMA. I have been on it four times this year but I haven't been in the last few weeks enough to develop any idea of the current movement pattern. I also, don't know where the deer are bedding or what they are currently eating. The property has bean and hay fields but they have all been harvested in the Fall.

This is a difficult question with a lot of variables and I know that it's difficult to derive a perfect question, but thanks anyways for your replies.

cowhunter71

Got a spot up on the mountain that buts up to the National Forest boundary. Found lots of fresh big rubs and scrapes in there yesterday. With this full moon and frigid temps, I'll be in there midday tomorrow and Wed ;)

wsm

Midday sounds good ,maybe they get up and move around in the slightly warmer part of the day.They have to eat sometimes of the day.

catman529

TheLBLman":1gam87eg said:
Nsghunter":1gam87eg said:
It will be in East TN on a hunter pressured WMA.
THIS Wednesday there, with only 4 hrs to hunt,
I'd pick 10A to 2P.
WMAs aren't pressured now like they were in early gun season. I'd go 8-12 pm if I only had 4 hours

TheLBLman

catman529":3nzbu898 said:
TheLBLman":3nzbu898 said:
Nsghunter":3nzbu898 said:
It will be in East TN on a hunter pressured WMA.
I'd pick 10A to 2P.
WMAs aren't pressured now like they were in early gun season. I'd go 8-12 pm if I only had 4 hours
True about the pressure, but the prior pressure has already played its role in shifting deer areas & travel routes.

This time of year, going in at 8a is often better than before dawn, especially if you're unable to stay on stand the entire day (which is typically my preference whenever I go in). The reason I sometimes opt for more around mid-morning is because can usually walk quieter in less hard frozen (sometimes soft mud instead of crunchy ice), and there will usually be more air circulation (wind) to muffle any sounds and make it less likely deer will notice me visually.

Wind can be better "camouflage" than any clothing pattern.
It helps "hide" both your sounds and your movement.
Will typically be more wind late morning vs. early morning.

SilverFox

If the backyard deer here are any indication of what the wild deer are doing, I'd hunt daylight until. The most activity I've seen over the last couple weeks has been from daybreak until 9:00-10:00. It's been pretty much dead until dark after that. I've seen 3 does and 2 bucks so far this morning which is down from normal but overnight activity on the camera was too.

Keep in mind these are deer in the green belt behind the house that I feed.

catman529

TheLBLman":u4eq0pr7 said:
catman529":u4eq0pr7 said:
TheLBLman":u4eq0pr7 said:
I'd pick 10A to 2P.
True about the pressure, but the prior pressure has already played its role in shifting deer areas & travel routes.
in my personal experience, deer go back to their normal patterns this late in the season. Wherever the food is, the deer are. They know when most of the hunters leave, they know where they want to go to feed.

Winchester

On a wma I would def take the mid day time frame as it has likely saw the least pressure all season long!

TheLBLman

catman529":2hrp20qq said:
in my personal experience, deer go back to their normal patterns this late in the season. Wherever the food is, the deer are.
"Normal" patterns change seasonally :tu:

In most my hunting areas now, the food is primarily concentrated in the nastiest of places for hunting, i.e. no trees large enough for a stand, ground visibility just a few yards. And they're staying in there, not coming out.

During October and into early November, these areas were mostly bedding and sanctuary cover areas, as the deer were coming out to feed in the more open hardwoods and fields. With the acorns gone (in my areas), these deer really have zero reason to step out into the hardwoods, and aren't for the most part.

Latest posts