Best Slug Gun

dhpro

I've got a browning a bolt 12 gauge with a muzzle brake it's an absolute tack driver Savage 220 it deadly also. That being said I went out and picked upA 450 bushmaster four Illinois this year

Livin2hunt

Been hunting up there over the last few years with the savage 220 with 3" trophy coppers. Like others have said its a tac driver and super comfortable to shoot. I also have a tc encore 20 gauge with fluted slug barrel. It's a nice piece as well. It should only take one shot but nice to bolt another one in if needed vs time to eject and slide another shell.

Racknquack

I have a mossberg 500 12 gauge and a savage 220. The savage 20 gauge is about as accurate a slug gun as I've ever seen. It would be my choice for longer ranges. Personally I like my 12 gauge. It literally knocks them down with the heavy loads. If I had to go out and start from scratch it would be the 220. I shoot the accutips or Barnes vortex out of mine.

killingtime 41

Accutips at 375 grain is not for shooting groundhogs I can guarantee you that. I've got a Winchester super x field model. I bought it for doves. But bought a rifled slug barrel for it to hunt oak ridge years ago. It comes with the browning but pad which is awesome.and uses browning invector chokes in my smooth bore barrel. It's a pump shotgun but it ejects the shell by pushing back the forearm with every shot. With practice I can rap off shots faster than a semi auto. Whatever I bought I would make sure it has a rifled barrel. So you can shoot sabot rounds. Much more accurate in my opinion.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
While we have several members here that hunt in IL, does anyone need another member on a lease in IL? I already have a lease for 23-24, but I am always looking for something better. If anything is available, or if you know of anything out there, please let me know. Hunting ethics and character are perfect. Just thought I would ask while so many IL hunters are on here.

FWIW-I am also interested in a Browning A-Bolt slug gun. If you have one gathering dust in the safe, send me an offer on it and I will get back with you. If I can't locate the A-Bolt, the Savage 220 will be my next option in a 20 ga.

Thanks,
B

Huntaholic

While we have several members here that hunt in IL, does anyone need another member on a lease in IL? I already have a lease for 23-24, but I am always looking for something better. If anything is available, or if you know of anything out there, please let me know. Hunting ethics and character are perfect. Just thought I would ask while so many IL hunters are on here.

FWIW-I am also interested in a Browning A-Bolt slug gun. If you have one gathering dust in the safe, send me an offer on it and I will get back with you. If I can't locate the A-Bolt, the Savage 220 will be my next option in a 20 ga.

Thanks,
B
They are scarce as hens teeth. When I sold mine it was to buy my ultra mag. Local sporting goods store offered me 400 trade in on it. Store owner also had one he bought when I bought mine, so after selling mine and seeing how many people were looking for one, I asked him if he would take 400 for his like he offered me for mine. He said yes so I sold it too to the next guy that contacted me. Thing is, this guy asked me about doing some trading. He ended up giving me 800 bucks cash and a new in the box Leupold vari-x III 8.25x25 scope! So I more than cleared enough on the 1st one to buy my ultra mag and I made 400 bucks on the 2nd one along with the scope!

Stalkhunter

I've got a Marlin bolt action with rifled barrel, and with sabot slugs it's rifle accurate to 200yds. The only downside is it's heavy. That only matters if you're still hunting hill country. From a stand it's a tack driver.
I have one too, fantastic shooting slug gun, killed many deer in Ny. My go to is my Encore 20 gauge slug gun with Hornady SST is a tack driver with less kick.

Claims Rep.

Another vote for the Savage 220. Don't bother shopping around either - just get 2 3/4" Remington AccuTips and be done with it. Mine is a tack driver, and I've killed a slew of bucks with mine. This one being the latest from this season…

Attachments

• E58C7620-4711-4815-90D4-227229376C89.jpeg
    E58C7620-4711-4815-90D4-227229376C89.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 91

Bone Collector

In my humble opinion Mossburg from Walmart will do as good as any. They all shoot good from the inexpensive ones to the high buck ones. My advice is to go to BassPro or Academy and hold as many as you can. Ask the gun guys which they recommend for the kind of hunting you experience like 3 1/2" shells, 109 yard shots, out of a tree, walk long distances, have it for birds and deer, etc. These all are important. Also how much you want to spend. It's a personal choice. Good luck.
this. I hunt a WMA in TN that is Shotgun, ML and Archery only. i converted my old 500, by buying a cantilever barrel for it. I will shoot straight to 100 yds and I am sure more, but I always sight to 100. If you hit a deer with it, it probably won't go far. 385 grain sabot slugs leave a mark.

I shoot Remington accu-tips and the ones I have hit have dropped in their tracks. I have missed a couple completely. 😂

41Magnum

Encore with rifled 20 gauge slug barrel.
This and/or the Savage 220. I mounted a scope on a 220 for a friend of mine and was amazed at how accurate it was, and shooting the Remington Accutips too. There's a video on YouTube of some guys taking does at 300yds with a 220. I probably wouldn't try it but that are shooting at undisturbed deer from a solid rest. They obviously have practiced at that distance and know their respective guns and loads really well.

Chippy

this. I hunt a WMA in TN that is Shotgun, ML and Archery only. i converted my old 500, by buying a cantilever barrel for it. I will shoot straight to 100 yds and I am sure more, but I always sight to 100. If you hit a deer with it, it probably won't go far. 385 grain sabot slugs leave a mark.

I shoot Remington accu-tips and the ones I have hit have dropped in their tracks. I have missed a couple completely. 😂
Sounds like oak ridge or fort cambell lol

Chiflyguy

I am looking for a slug gun and need some honest reviews on what, and what not to look at. Planning on hunting in IL this coming season and want the reliability of a shotgun instead of a muzzleloader. I have looked at several guns-Savage, etc and they all seem the same to me. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and your input about what has and has not worked for you.

Thanks in Advance.
B
Do you have a straight wall centerfire?
All the jamokes in Illinois are buying them by the truck load.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I must be the only guy here shooting a 12 Guage Remington 870 with a rifled barrel. The best round IMHO was the Remington solid copper hollow point sabot but they are no longer available. It as been a very accurate, very dependable out to 100 yards , never shot further than that. Been putting meat i the freezer with that setup for near 20 years.

Latest posts