Best long range scope under $1000.

ADR

Check out the demo optics at Red Hawk rifles they have some great deals. I just received a Zeiss 4-16 v4 from them that is a very good value. For $719 it has great glass, modest weight and has been reported to track perfect.
I was just about to post that same thing. Thank you for passing that sale along

dpmiller613

A little comment with someone with well over 50 years experience with Leupold scopes. I have sixteen scopes, both rifle and pistol, from fixed two power up to 6.5 X 20, all from Leupold. I also have several other brands I use for tent pegs. I am a firm believer in Leupold, I used to have a dealership agreement but don't any more so I can't help you with price. What I will say, I have never had any manufacturer that provided better service, even when it had nothing to do with their product. My first Leupold was a 2X7 I bought somewhere in the 60s. About fifteen years ago I screwed up and turned the crosshair adjustment too far and lost it. I shipped it back to them, they repaired it, refurbished it and returned it to me, NO CHARGE. Next one was a 2X8 I had on a rifle that I brought from California to Upstate NY via United Airlines, thru Chicago. First they lost the rifle case somewhere, after several threats they found it and returned it. When I opened the case I saw that for some reason, the matte black on the large bell was scuffed up. I sent that back to them with an explanation and, instead of refinishing it, they sent me a new replacement scope. I begged them to send me an invoice and they wouldn't, all I wanted to do was stick it to United. Still they did it for free. I don't know about the other brands but for my money, I'd go with the one who cares about their product and their customer.

sc8point

A little comment with someone with well over 50 years experience with Leupold scopes. I have sixteen scopes, both rifle and pistol, from fixed two power up to 6.5 X 20, all from Leupold. I also have several other brands I use for tent pegs. I am a firm believer in Leupold, I used to have a dealership agreement but don't any more so I can't help you with price. What I will say, I have never had any manufacturer that provided better service, even when it had nothing to do with their product. My first Leupold was a 2X7 I bought somewhere in the 60s. About fifteen years ago I screwed up and turned the crosshair adjustment too far and lost it. I shipped it back to them, they repaired it, refurbished it and returned it to me, NO CHARGE. Next one was a 2X8 I had on a rifle that I brought from California to Upstate NY via United Airlines, thru Chicago. First they lost the rifle case somewhere, after several threats they found it and returned it. When I opened the case I saw that for some reason, the matte black on the large bell was scuffed up. I sent that back to them with an explanation and, instead of refinishing it, they sent me a new replacement scope. I begged them to send me an invoice and they wouldn't, all I wanted to do was stick it to United. Still they did it for free. I don't know about the other brands but for my money, I'd go with the one who cares about their product and their customer.
I have owned several of their scopes and for my use they are the best.

Ahuntin1

If you hunt in the woods with the same gun, I would lean hard towards a second focal plane scope. The cross hairs are too fine at lower power on a first focal plane for me. The fire dot VX 5 as well as the razor LHT fit that situation too.
If it's a heavy bean field gun, I'd look at the SHV or Burris XTR II.
I make stickers with my dope yardage for my turrets to be quicker in the field. I use this website to make them. https://customturretsystems.com/

Attachments

• 47DE4646-101A-4690-904A-80B38176923C.jpeg
    47DE4646-101A-4690-904A-80B38176923C.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 134

Hunter 257W

Turrets are fun and more precise for when I'm target shooting, around here that is. I've seen, and heard, the need and success of dialing for those long shots out past 500 tho, as in those long shots across the prairie out West. ;)
Agree that scope adjustments are a lot more needed beyond 500 yards unless you get one of the reticles with tick marks and spend a LOT of time shooting to verify what mark to use at various ranges. Also hunting in unfamiliar territory makes a range finder a necessity because an error of even 25 yards can be a big deal way on out there no matter what you are shooting. I'm constantly looking at all the landmarks on my land on various internet sites where you can measure distances then looking at them when I'm on the farm in person so I can memorize ranges for shooting. I've shot quite a bit out to 400 yards but need to do some at 500 because it's about exactly 500 from my shooting house to a corner of woods that juts out into the field which deer use a lot. We call it the "Magic corner" in fact because of all the deer traffic. Currently I'd not shoot that far out because I don't have good confidence where the bullet would be.

Jmed

Ive got 2 Gen 1 Vortex PSTs (4-16 & 6-24). The smaller on the .260, and the other on my .300WM. I have been very pleased.

hittingsteal

I am looking at buying a long range scope for a Savage .300 wsm that would be used out to 425 yards or so. Any body have a suggestion?
Buy you a meopta optika 6 in ffp. The 5-30×56 has 120 moa on both the 4.5-27 has 84 moa
I have vortex gen 2 in 5-25 nf moar and nxs and 2 mark 5. This scope is under a grand and has more mo than most glass is clearer that my nf of leupold and lighter. Im sure the 3-18 is just as good for around 600.
I am looking at buying a long range scope for a Savage .300 wsm that would be used out to 425 yards or so. Any body have a suggestion?

billyboy

Love my Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 with Dead-hold BDC. You can get customized elevation turrets if you want so you can dial the yardage and let it go.
The Zeiss scopes are pretty nice too.

dpmiller613

I'm going to make the case, again, for the Leupold's. A couple of weeks ago I really screwed the pooch with one of my older VXIII, 3.5X10-50 scopes, about 20-30 years old. I messed the scope up badly using heat to loosen a shade on it. I sent it back to Leupold, explaining what I had done, and asking for them to repair it and send me the bill. Today I received an email stating they were working it under WARRANTY. Their solution is to send me a NEW VX-3HD replacement at no cost. I've had a few other brands of scopes over the years and have never had any manufacturer replace a scope I had issues with replace it much less repair it without an argument. I have no experience with all of these new brands everyone is talking about for a reason, if it ain't broke don't fix it! I have eight rifle scopes, two on muzzleloader and shotgun and eleven on pistol barrels. I also own one Burris that is a very good scope but doesn't measure up to the Leupold's, the rest of the tent pegs I've given away to people who couldn't afford to but a scope. This is by way of saying the Leupold clarity is unbelievable, they are a rugged, quality product and they support their product. I'm also partial to the fact they've tried to keep their business in the US, not some SE Asian jungle, something we all ought to think about.

GMB54

The Optika6 im sure has nice glass but its also 2lbs+. The lightest Optika6 is 27oz and the 5-30 is over 36oz. Pretty sure you can get into a Razor HD LHT for right at a grand or slightly less. The VX 5HD can be found for around $950. Sightron SIII can be found for $850 and that is some really nice glass for that kinda money.

Last edited:

Sellis26

Just get the Leupold with the cds turrets/dial and enough magnification. I have vortex and Leupold( multiple of each) and honestly no offense to vortex guys its just not a comparable deal for me between weight and feel. Clarity is probably the same. I know feel sounds tacky but the Leopuld just feels more expensive. My vote is the vx-3 or vx-5 series. Look around and you can find deals.

Latest posts