Best long range scope under $1000.

duckriver

I'm saving up for a vortex PST gent 2 5-25 with FFP reticle. Or a leupold VX5. Leaning vortex because of the reticle right now. Both are $1,000 scopes

ADR

I'm saving up for a vortex PST gent 2 5-25 with FFP reticle. Or a leupold VX5. Leaning vortex because of the reticle right now. Both are $1,000 scopes

I have this exact scope and love it. I saw it the other day for $750 new somewhere online. I will try to dig that sale up. I paid the $1000 price tag, hence it jumped out at me.

sc8point

Right now I am thinking VX5. I have a couple of shots that are 400 yards +or- a few on my farm and my wife killed a nice deer at 396 using a practiced holdover. The gun has the potential(sub 1 inch at 200 yards) but I don't trust the holdover in a pinch.

duckriver

I have this exact scope and love it. I saw it the other day for $750 new somewhere online. I will try to dig that sale up. I paid the $1000 price tag, hence it jumped out at me.
Yes if you can find the link send it to me please

duckriver

Right now I am thinking VX5. I have a couple of shots that are 400 yards +or- a few on my farm and my wife killed a nice deer at 396 using a practiced holdover. The gun has the potential(sub 1 inch at 200 yards) but I don't trust the holdover in a pinch.
Only reason I'm leaning more towards the vortex is the reticle

duckriver

Dial and shoot instead of relying on holdovers
I've got a a couple of nikons with bdc reticles but looking to go with something nicer on my new Bergara. I like the thought process of just turning turrets like you're talking about. I thought he Christmas tree reticle would be easier but idk

Jcalder

I've got a a couple of nikons with bdc reticles but looking to go with something nicer on my new Bergara. I like the thought process of just turning turrets like you're talking about. I thought he Christmas tree reticle would be easier but idk
I know several like a bdc type but it's not for me. I have much more confidence turning a dial to a known distance. I'll add this. If you're gonna turn knobs you have to get a scope that tracks reliably. The cds dial has worked really well for me.

duckriver

I know several like a bdc type but it's not for me. I have much more confidence turning a dial to a known distance. I'll add this. If you're gonna turn knobs you have to get a scope that tracks reliably. The cds dial has worked really well for me.
I actually have a vx3 on my tikka that has it but have never used them. I just know where to hold out to about 350 and aim high. I need to play with those

Jcalder

I actually have a vx3 on my tikka that has it but have never used them. I just know where to hold out to about 350 and aim high. I need to play with those
The vx5 and some of the newer vx3i have the zero lock feature. A great addition if you turn knobs a lot. I have a new vx3i with the zero lock but haven't gotten to put it in my rifle yet. Stupid mounts had a malfunction. I also have a vx5 and I really like it, but it's a bit bulkier and heavier than the 3

Hunter 257W

I see no need for adjusting a scope for 400 yard shots. Also would like to know how to train deer to stand still for ranging then fiddling with scope elevation dials before making a shot. My deer are too wild for that and don't stand still that long when out in the open where long range shots are needed. With a flat shooting rifle zeroed at 300 yards you can easily estimate hold over for 400 yard shots and shoot immediately. On land you hunt all the time you should already be familiar with ranges to landmarks so you know when to hold over a bit before the deer even presents itself.

I have at least 2 scopes with the big turrets but have never used them except for initial zero. They are both on heavy barrel varmint rifles.

MUP

I see no need for adjusting a scope for 400 yard shots. Also would like to know how to train deer to stand still for ranging then fiddling with scope elevation dials before making a shot. My deer are too wild for that and don't stand still that long when out in the open where long range shots are needed. With a flat shooting rifle zeroed at 300 yards you can easily estimate hold over for 400 yard shots and shoot immediately. On land you hunt all the time you should already be familiar with ranges to landmarks so you know when to hold over a bit before the deer even presents itself.

I have at least 2 scopes with the big turrets but have never used them except for initial zero. They are both on heavy barrel varmint rifles.
Turrets are fun and more precise for when I'm target shooting, around here that is. I've seen, and heard, the need and success of dialing for those long shots out past 500 tho, as in those long shots across the prairie out West. ;)

gravy

I am looking at buying a long range scope for a Savage .300 wsm that would be used out to 425 yards or so. Any body have a suggestion?
Check out the demo optics at Red Hawk rifles they have some great deals. I just received a Zeiss 4-16 v4 from them that is a very good value. For $719 it has great glass, modest weight and has been reported to track perfect.

Latest posts