Best load for the mossberg 535

SMarshall

Hey guys,
I bought the Mossberg 535 with the 22" barrel and the Mossberg xx-full choke. Anybody know what loads will produce the best patterns with this setup. I've been looking around and Hevi-shot loads look like the thing to go with but I'm not sure how they'll perform with this setup. Thanks!

whiskey

I have one and the factory choke on mine was rated for LEAD ONLY. You may want to double check yours. Before I knew it was rated for lead only, it shot Hevi #7s much better than it shot the mag blends. It also shot the Winchester Supreme Lead #5's nicely.

Now I am shooting a Pure Gold .670 and Hevi #7's. It's not a 60 yard gun, but I don't shoot at turkeys at 60 yards either. It has a great 40 yard pattern that looks like a basketball.

woodsman87

I don't own the gun so take my opinion for what its worth. I am sure there are those people out there that do not like it, but I have never heard of anybody not liking any kind of the hevi-shot. Get some, I am sure you will like it.

SMarshall

Thanks Guys! I'm just now getting into turkey hunting (Although I did shoot my first one last fall with my bow while I was deer hunting) and this is my first hunting shotgun so I really appreciate the feedback. I called Mossberg and they said the xx-full choke is rated for lead only. The guy told me they suggested using the modified accu choke that came with the other barrel when shooting HEVI-SHOT. Anybody done this? Results? Pick a different load? Other chokes to consider?

woodsman87

SMarshall said:
Thanks Guys! I'm just now getting into turkey hunting (Although I did shoot my first one last fall with my bow while I was deer hunting) and this is my first hunting shotgun so I really appreciate the feedback. I called Mossberg and they said the xx-full choke is rated for lead only. The guy told me they suggested using the modified accu choke that came with the other barrel when shooting HEVI-SHOT. Anybody done this? Results? Pick a different load? Other chokes to consider?

Do whatever you want, but my recommendation would be to get a hevi shot approved choke and use hevi shot.

Big J

I'm shooting a 535 with an undertaker choke and Winchester supreme. Dead is dead. Have not had a bird get up yet complaining! Lol

SMarshall

Thanks guys! ZCM you're shooting the hevi shot out of the lead only choke? I though that would damage the it? I'm planning on getting a few different loads and trying it out this week to see how it patterns.

Latest posts