Best DP Trap?

hillbillyfab

I've got Duke's because those were the first ones I bought when I was getting started. I've added "Z" traps to my collection, because I like the idea of the "push/pull" trigger setup. I can't say one works better than the other, because DP's in general just work if there's coons in the area.

TN Song Dog

I've got Duke's because those were the first ones I bought when I was getting started. I've added "Z" traps to my collection, because I like the idea of the "push/pull" trigger setup. I can't say one works better than the other, because DP's in general just work if there's coons in the area.

Thanks. What's your most productive bait/lure and method?

hillbillyfab

I use mostly dog food and marshmallows for my sets. Sometimes I set with just the dog food, sometimes I put a combination of dog food with a marshmallow at the top of the trap. If I think it's going to rain, I put a ping-pong or golf ball on the top of the DP to help shed the rain off the bait.

Last edited:

wildlifefarmer

Most of the time I use dry cat food in dp's. In live traps the juiciest canned cat food n cheapest I can find. Cat food seems to be stinkier fishy smell

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I use dukes and have converted them to a push pull trigger. It's not hard to do and will up your catch of coons and non target animals.

Jbird22

I have Z traps and Dukes. They both catch fine but when I buy more it will be Z traps just because of the push/pull trigger. I use the Z traps just as they come since they're powder coated. I'm pretty sure the newer Dukes come coated as well. The ones I have are older and I dipped them in Rustoleum/Acetone mixed 1:1. As for bait, sardines mixed with dry cat food is my favorite. I've tried marshmallows with chocolate or strawberry syrups but I catch noticeably more with sardines/cat food.

hillbillyfab

Do you guys dye and wax DPs, paint them, or do nothing and just use them?
I haven't dyed or waxed mine as of yet. I have painted a few. It helps me tell from a distance if I need to rebait or reset it.
That's interesting to hear about some of y'all converting the Dukes to a push/pull. I'll have to look into that. đź‘Ť

JCDEERMAN

I use dukes and have converted them to a push pull trigger. It's not hard to do and will up your catch of coons and non target animals.
Interesting. I'll need to look into that.

I have Dukes and they work well. I use cat food and marshmallows. It seems the sweeter stuff works when it's warmer and the meatier baits work when it's colder.

Farm manager

I have been told by a couple of folks that run hundreds of dp's that if they could only choose one and the price didn't matter, the coon dagger would be their first choice. The same folks seem to be just fine with Duke's and Z-traps.

squirrel_hunter

I run a bunch of dukes. Along with some lil grzz, z traps, fb2, . I bought 6 new wolf creek dp. The trap too me the spring was weak. I replaced the spring with Duke replacement spring. And the back of the trap where the clean out door opened. I welded it in place. Now the wolf creek dp are ok traps. Alot better when i first got them. But i only have 3.00 in them each. Add the cost of the new duke replacement spring 1.00. So a total of 4.00 in each trap. I try to change my dp springs out every 2 to 3 yrs.

hammer33

I have the Z traps and like them. Cheap dry catfood mixed with unsweetened berry Koolaid. Gives it a fruity smell that seems to help keep the skunk catches down. If I want skunks/possums I use more of a fishy bait.

squirrel_hunter

I trap a federal fish hatchery that raises trout. Baiting with fish is waste of time. They will walk by dry catfood. Sometimes u got to think what would u like. Peanut butter and a big marshmallow under the trigger. Or fish food works some. Take either fish or catfood. But put a little bacon grease on it. I usally take 40+ coons off it. U cant even tell there missing. There are so many coons there. The fish hatchery is right by a big lake.

Speedwell-Hunter

I have Z traps and Dukes. They both catch fine but when I buy more it will be Z traps just because of the push/pull trigger. I use the Z traps just as they come since they're powder coated. I'm pretty sure the newer Dukes come coated as well. The ones I have are older and I dipped them in Rustoleum/Acetone mixed 1:1. As for bait, sardines mixed with dry cat food is my favorite. I've tried marshmallows with chocolate or strawberry syrups but I catch noticeably more with sardines/cat food.
Z traps are by far the most annoying to set. got rid of all of mine, literally threw them in the lake. pissed me off so much, utter rubbish

Jbird22

Z traps are by far the most annoying to set. got rid of all of mine, literally threw them in the lake. pissed me off so much, utter rubbish
Were you using a setter tool or by hand? I use a setter tool and have never had an issue setting mine.

squirrel_hunter

Had 1 z trap give me a little of a issue. Took 2 seconds to fix. I have 6 fb1 6 fb2 . The fb1 and fb 2 are my least favorite. If duke sucks so bad. How can Iowa trapper have a 1000+ coon season. He runs 99% duke dp traps. I think he had a few z traps. Duke dp out sells any other dp.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I converted my duke to push pull. There are a couple you tube videos showing how to do it.

Latest posts