• Help Support TNDeer:

Best DP Trap?

hillbillyfab

I've got Duke's because those were the first ones I bought when I was getting started. I've added "Z" traps to my collection, because I like the idea of the "push/pull" trigger setup. I can't say one works better than the other, because DP's in general just work if there's coons in the area.

TN Song Dog

I've got Duke's because those were the first ones I bought when I was getting started. I've added "Z" traps to my collection, because I like the idea of the "push/pull" trigger setup. I can't say one works better than the other, because DP's in general just work if there's coons in the area.

Thanks. What's your most productive bait/lure and method?

hillbillyfab

I use mostly dog food and marshmallows for my sets. Sometimes I set with just the dog food, sometimes I put a combination of dog food with a marshmallow at the top of the trap. If I think it's going to rain, I put a ping-pong or golf ball on the top of the DP to help shed the rain off the bait.

Last edited:

CATCHDAWG

I use Brigder and Duke. When it comes to a dp, I don’t think you could go wrong with whatever brand you choose. A lot different than a traditional foothold.

wildlifefarmer

Most of the time I use dry cat food in dp’s. In live traps the juiciest canned cat food n cheapest I can find. Cat food seems to be stinkier fishy smell

TnKen

I use dukes and have converted them to a push pull trigger. It’s not hard to do and will up your catch of coons and non target animals.

Jbird22

I have Z traps and Dukes. They both catch fine but when I buy more it will be Z traps just because of the push/pull trigger. I use the Z traps just as they come since they're powder coated. I'm pretty sure the newer Dukes come coated as well. The ones I have are older and I dipped them in Rustoleum/Acetone mixed 1:1. As for bait, sardines mixed with dry cat food is my favorite. I've tried marshmallows with chocolate or strawberry syrups but I catch noticeably more with sardines/cat food.

hillbillyfab

Do you guys dye and wax DPs, paint them, or do nothing and just use them?
I haven't dyed or waxed mine as of yet. I have painted a few. It helps me tell from a distance if I need to rebait or reset it.
That's interesting to hear about some of y'all converting the Dukes to a push/pull. I'll have to look into that. 👍

JCDEERMAN

I use dukes and have converted them to a push pull trigger. It’s not hard to do and will up your catch of coons and non target animals.
Interesting. I’ll need to look into that.

I have Dukes and they work well. I use cat food and marshmallows. It seems the sweeter stuff works when it’s warmer and the meatier baits work when it’s colder.

Latest posts