Best Compact Tractors?

PRB

Supporter
Reliability and resale = Kubota.
If you think you can get by with a 25 HP then Kubota L2501 has the largest output you can buy without Tier 4 emissions.
They have come a long way with emissions but Ive read some troubles and frustrations that might deter some people from opting for a slightly higher HP.
If you havent already considered it, I would strongly recommend 4wd and hydrostat regardless of your purchase, and both should increase resale.

Carlos

I've got a 32hp Kubota, it's been an awesome machine.
The 4wd and fel have done great, I'd highly recommend them. (Plus, of you're financing, I think there's 6 years 0% interest.)

TnKen

Kubota. I have a 4701 and had a L3600 before that. Really like both of them only traded the 3600 because of no FEL. I used a 2501 today and was really impressed with the power for a small tractor.

Southpaw

Kubota with KTAC insurance. I’m a believer and a lifelong customer. They just put a new motor in my 24 year old tractor for a $250 deductible. Busted a radiator hose and ran it hot and they covered it with no problems.

deerfever

I will definitely be in the minority here , I looked a few years back, researched a ton and ended up with a Mahindra 1526. I really like it as it does all I need and then some , I have had zero issues or problems. My FIL who is an old school Ford tractor guy uses it all the time and loves the thing! Lol. I looked at Kubota and Kioti when I bought mine but just really liked the Mahindra . With that being said my guess on holding resale value would be the Kubota , obviously they are great tractors and have a big following.

Mattt

If I were buying an off brand I would buy mahindra hands down. I beat the crap out of a 40hp and it did t wimped. Turned a bushho it shouldn’t and took a lot of misuse In a clear cut. Having said that, Chattanooga tractor shut down their mahindra plant. So who knows now.

redblood

Supporter
I will definitely be in the minority here , I looked a few years back, researched a ton and ended up with a Mahindra 1526. I really like it as it does all I need and then some , I have had zero issues or problems. My FIL who is an old school Ford tractor guy uses it all the time and loves the thing! Lol. I looked at Kubota and Kioti when I bought mine but just really liked the Mahindra . With that being said my guess on holding resale value would be the Kubota , obviously they are great tractors and have a big following.
I have a new 75 hp new holland and a c35 mahindra. The new holland is a beast but that the little mahindra has been a great little tractor

JhnDeereMan

I’ll pitch my opinion in there which is heavily weighted towards Deere.

If you are putting 100 hrs per year on a tractor most any brand will do fine for you.

Once you get up to 300-500 hrs of use per year you need to get serious about quality.

Today HP is cheaper to build into a tractor than the actual weight(steel). So you will see a 80 hp tractor that weighs 5500 lbs. So 40 hp is wasted as the tractor cannot put the HP to the ground.

That is where Deere shines. Very few times will they be outweighed as far as ratio of HP to weight and their hydraulics are second to none.

Deere has the stigma of being the highest priced in the industry and spec for spec Deere will be within 3-5 % of other major brands

Finally and most importantly you need a good dealer network. You can’t wait 2 weeks for any part and can’t have your tractor in the shop for a month. This just doesn’t happen at a Deere dealer.

Just my opinion but I’ve seen it all in the last 18 years of working for Deere and I do know that it is a great product and I’m proud to not only work for Deere but own Deere equipment

Smo

Kubota L3400

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

TRHC

Local Kubota dealer told me that Kubota puts more research and development into compacts/midsized, while JD puts more R&D into farming machines. He said there’s a reason you don’t see any orange tractors in big farming operations.

Wiley

Finally and most importantly you need a good dealer network. You can’t wait 2 weeks for any part and can’t have your tractor in the shop for a month. This just doesn’t happen at a Deere dealer.
I know 2 or 3 JD owners that would call flat out BS on this statement. I have seen them red faced pissed off due to having to wait on a particular part. When parts aren't available, parts aren't available. It don't matter if it's a 1940 Farmall, a 1950 Ford 8N, a 1990 Massey Ferguson or a new John Deere.

Last edited:

Mattt

I e got a 75 nh. It’s only a year old, it’s ok when it runs. I wouldn’t recommend them. What jimdeer said is spot on. If only a few hours a year any will do. The loaders on pretty much all these suck if a lot of bucket work is in your future get a machine made for that.