best climber stands

Rakkin6

Have to agree go for the Summit Viper. Watch videos on YouTube before you ever climb. If you can practice in your yard on a tree up and down 10' to 15' several times. Secure your harness before you ever begin climbing either with the trees trap that comes with your harness or a prussic knot style. But two 25'-30' hoist ropes one for your pack and one for your firearm/bow ( I also use my hoist ropes to judge how many feet I am up by how much slack I have), never climb with either on your back and ensure your weapon is unloaded when raising and lowering to and from your stand.

The best thing is to get into a habit and do things the same everytime. I follow the same procedures each time I get to a tree and climb. The only difference is whether I carrying my slug gun or bow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy S.

...... but Cougar Claw is better.
Good to see Cougar Claw mentioned as very few even know what they are. I can remember hunting out of them back in the day. Climbing/gripping stands for sure, but uncomfortable (older models). Never used a newer Cougar Claw. These days I use OL' MAN, Lone Wolf, TreeWalker and Summit. OL' MAN gets the nod most hunts because I can put it on the tree in the dark without a light due to me using one the last 30 years.

kamml

Great advice all and much of it probably learned the hard way too. Hands down it's hard to beat a Summit Viper. Don't climb without the safety harness from the bottom up, every time.

philsanchez76

I'd recommend a tree saddle and some affordable climbing sticks. Check out Catmans saddle vids. The saddle will get you into way more trees than the climber

EchotaClovis

Another vote for the Summit Viper. Not the cheapest investment up front, but you will be safe and secure. Also don't go cheap on a comfortable safety harness. I recommend adding the third hand archery summit package to the stand. Their stabilizer straps make the two pieces of the summit very secure and rock solid. I also recommend the hazmore silent seat. I fought the original summit seat for a couple years and their mesh seat is a nice upgrade in my opinion.

Bruiser

Used a Summit for many many years. Lightweight, comfortable, sturdy (enough to even snooze in 😅). Go get the climbing stirrup attachments to add to the bottom platform and it makes life even easier.

Grnwing

I d recommend the lone wolf hand climber. It is light and quiet and packs flat and high on your back. The belts are easy to adjust and quiet when climbing. No need to sound dampen the stand as it is quiet. It is also very easy to attach your pack to the stand and pack out your stand and deer in one trip. Customer service has been great over the years.

Madbowh

Read the paperwork that comes with it thoroughly, and practice climbing before hunting season and shooting out of it when setting up for bow hunts in a climber I like my seat to be closer to my platform than if I am gun hunting to make sure I have clearance with my bow and rail. Definitely tie the 2 sections together with 3-4' of some kind of rope or cord. Shooting even once or twice out of it before season will be fine but definitely climb a few times before season and always remember to keep equal pressure on left and right side of both sections while climbing putting all weight on one side can cause you to fall until your set and stand is strapped in.

Madbowh

I got a chuckle out of that. Could you imagine hauling 50 lbs, let alone 100 lbs? LOL!
My climber is a little older weighs 35lbs, then when I tie my backpack to it I'm pushing 50. When I went through basic training 20 years ago at ft sill it was still rough we weighed our ruck sacks at 50lb most I ran with mine was 5 miles twice that was rough. When combat ready some guys are probably at least 50lbs loaded upabove waist. I used to hunt out of state where you can bait I would have climber them throw bag of corn over my head. My 2 man ladder is 65lb I backpack style it, in a clear area or road of course easily can go a few hundred yards. Shoot and I only weigh 160. Don't mean any of this in "look at me" kind of way more of a you'd be surprised how fast things can add up and what some people do

Ol Fart

If you are thin you can hunt comfortably with a Viper and will carry 18 - 20 lbs. If you are taller or chunky like me go with the Summit Goliath which is roomier and weighs around 22-23 pounds.

Be aware of your surroundings. Never climb a tree that is dead or is near a standing dead tree. Always make sure there will be no large dead limbs above you. It's a good idea to make sure there are no hornet nests near you.

Summit stands are pricey but if you buy from Cabela's, Bass Pro or Sportsman's Guide you can get one on a 6 pay or 4 pay plan.