Best Caliber for AR-15

harvey20

Among all the calibers used for the AR-15, the 6.5 Grendel is the best in business. The weapon is known to hit hard and performs exceptionally well to 1000 yards. It is the perfect suit for hunting and also ties with the 5.56 as the most versatile round. For instance, let us imagine that you're going to hunt a deer. At this time, you have to use the 223 Remington, which can load bullets around 55 grains.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I would gladly hunt with a 6.8 SPC. Kissing cousin to the Grendel up to any reasonable hunting distance with a 16" or 18" barrel. Neither has enough power to be used ethically for deer beyond 350-400 yards, and even then it is really pushing it. But I ordered a Grendel upper recently and will be hunting with it. The deciding factor? Availability. I couldn't find a 6.8 upper in stock anywhere for a reasonable price, but could find a Grendel.

If you stick to 5.56, I have had acceptable results from 65 SGKs, but was a bit disappointed by the one deer that my daughter shot with the 62gr TSXs. I think that the lighter one may work better.

At this point I would probably go with a Gold Dot or NAB if I was start from scratch.

mayberryrick

Check out the 350 Legend.... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE!!!!!!! Low recoil, heavy hitting round that has plenty distance for most every shot you're gonna take in Tennessee.

Omega

For ARs, I tend to stay with rounds based off the 5.56 cartridge, so besides the 5.56, I have the 300 Blackout and .277 Wolverine, both of which are deadly within it's range limits. The 300BLK is great for deer or hog out to about 100 yards with my preferred Barnes 115 grn blacktips and the .277 WLV while I still have not taken it out hunting, guys have reported kills out well past 200. I plan to use 90 grn Gold Dots when I finally put it in the rotation. I personally stay within 100-150 yards, can't really see much further out.

rifle02

6.5 Grendel and 350 Legend both are adequate for deer. I can tell you that the 6.5 Grendel, mine anyway, is extremely accurate. For accuracy and lethal hits I would go with Grendel.

Latest posts