Beechnuts

S

Smo

We didn’t have any acorns in my neck of the woods this year.

I know other areas reported a bumper crop this year.

What is strange to me is we have a ton of beechnuts.

Anyone else expierience the same?

GOHUNT

GOHUNT

The small 20 year old beech tree in my yard was loaded this year, just as it has been the past few years

duckriver

duckriver

Although I've never seen a deer eat a beechnut I love beech trees and enjoy hunting near them. Come to think of it I haven't seen a turkey eat them either but I think they do?

M

Mike Belt

I've seen deer attempt to eat beechnuts but only a couple of times. They may not eat them but the bucks sure love making scrapes under them.

S

Smo

Since there were no acorns and only a few Hickory nuts at my place this time the squirrels are tearing them up .

Looks like it’s time to do a little thinning.....

Forvols

Forvols

I got a bunch of beech trees. Generally see a lot of squirrel action in them, and deer under the trees. Lot of wind rows back in the woods too from turkey around beech trees. I also have lots oak and hickory on my land, usually indifferent to acorn and hickory nut mast, I still see squirrels, turkeys and deer in the beech trees. Maybe cause I have so many here.

Given the 3 nuts--acorn, hickory and beech indifferent to taste. The ACORN probably is most meat for the least amount of effort, thin skin bite and twist like eating a sunflower seed(kind of). Hickory nut worse than the tightest walnut to get to meat, beech little triangle shaped thing (have no idea what they taste like--look like a star wars rebel ship when you hold it up).

S

Smo

I couldn’t resist I had to taste one . LOL

They are lots better to me than any acorn.

I heard people use to make flour out of Beechnuts and bake into bread.

It sure would take a bunch of them to fill a Guy up.

There about the size of seed in a sunflower seed or maybe a little smaller.

E

elknturkey

Deer, turkey and bear kill em here but we haven't had a good crop of em in at least 4 years. I know one small section of a valley that has some and the turkeys were still hitting them hard a few weeks ago

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

D

dhpro

deer and turkey will eat them over a white oak in my area they never last more than a few weeks,i personally think they're the best wild nut in the mnts

PickettSFHunter

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
All game eats the heck out of them on my place too. They just don’t seem to produce very consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts