Beavers

leader

I need to get rid of some beavers and I hear shooting them is not a great option.
Any suggestions on traps to use?
Scents?
Tips?

If I am successful is there a market for pelts?

Appreciate it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATCHDAWG

If you use the conibear/body grip traps you won't need any kind scents. And yes, like the ones you posted in that link ( just saw it so I'm replying here). You will also need a setting tool. There are a TON of YouTube videos on beaver trapping and Trapperman.com is a great source of information as well. As far as value of pelts is concerned, fur is no longer politically correct so there is very little demand and imo not worth skinning. Do a little research or I can pm my number if you'd like. Other than coons and possums, beavers are about the easiest critter to trap once you understand they're habits.

Trapper

Are the bank dens or in a hut ? Try to catch them in their runs or where they are coming out of the water or dam cross overs. If you spook them you could be in for a hard time on catching them , just dont set the hut or den yet let it be the last thing you try .

Beaver86

Trapper":270vpn5h said:
Are the bank dens or in a hut ? Try to catch them in their runs or where they are coming out of the water or dam cross overs. If you spook them you could be in for a hard time on catching them , just dont set the hut or den yet let it be the last thing you try .

This. Start with the runs/trails. Set the den last if you are hoping to catch them all. If only after one or two, the den can be a good place to start.

backyardtndeer

leader":1g21anzr said:
I need to get rid of some beavers and I hear shooting them is not a great option.
Any suggestions on traps to use?
Scents?
Tips?

If I am successful is there a market for pelts?

Appreciate it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually shooting them is not too difficult, you just have to be careful and use a rd that is frangible. They are most active early in the morning and right at dark. We kill several every year with tipped varmageddon rds I hand load for .223. It is really quite a bit of fun shooting them, my wife has a blast shooting them. I do catch a half dozen or so every year, but unfortunately where we are the rats that may avoid our traps this year or rats that are downstream will move in next year. Noone is trapping them on the properties downstream of us, and think some actually appreciate the beavers damming up channels for their waterfowling.

Use coni 330's for water sets here.

Latest posts