Bear In Wayne County

Huckfin

There has been a bear in Joelton (North of Nashville) in 2018 a friend of mine who owns a farm took a picture of it when he was in a tree stand deer hunting.

Speaking of rattlesnakes, there's a big watering hole at Cheatham WMA that seems to be a favorite ambush spot for them, I've walked up on 3 in the last 2 years, actually stepped on one. I won't scout there during the summer without wearing snake gators. I've seen more rattlesnakes than deer out there, lol.

Anybody have any advice on hunting Cheatham, I lost my lease of 15 years 4 years ago and have tried hunting Cheatham but it's been a tough go. I get some great pictures summer and early fall but it's becomes a ghost town during season.

timberjack86

^^^^
This

I don't want bears in my hunting grounds, just like I don't want alligators or mountain lions in my hunting grounds. Don't like walking up on any of those three.
Walking up on them in woods at dark is one thing. Bumping one out by the car trying to go to work before daylight is another!! Sucker popped his teeth and woofed at me in my yard!!

redblood

They killed one in Tullahoma about 20 yrs ago. My girlfriend lived about 5 miles from where it was killed. I thought she was crazy until the news showed the story. It was a young male

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
There was one in Northern Lauderdale Alabama about 20 years ago that was being seen on a regular basis by folks around there. He was only a couple of miles south of the TN line and close to a Wildlife Management Area. The state had to euthanize the bear because someone had shot him in the face with birdshot and his tongue and mouth were destroyed. I dont think they ever found out who shot him, but it is a shame he had to be put down.

larry ipock

Believe me, you don't want em! They will trash cams, and wreck stands, not to mention make the deer avoid the area. Also got me looking out for em while squirrel hunting. Read my post from Sept. of last year called "The Bear"

JCDEERMAN

There was one in Northern Lauderdale Alabama about 20 years ago that was being seen on a regular basis by folks around there. He was only a couple of miles south of the TN line and close to a Wildlife Management Area. The state had to euthanize the bear because someone had shot him in the face with birdshot and his tongue and mouth were destroyed. I dont think they ever found out who shot him, but it is a shame he had to be put down.
That could have been self defense also

JCDEERMAN

Believe me, you don't want em! They will trash cams, and wreck stands, not to mention make the deer avoid the area.
I believe it. I had every panel of my truck destroyed by a bear while elk hunting out in CO 3 years ago. I'm just glad I locked it. There were claw marks on ever door at the handles, rear fenders as he stood up to look in the bed, and a completely dented hood. Only thing that didn't need to be repaired was the tailgate. That was a fun one explaining to the insurance company

1jamey

20210724_173936.jpg

Hawkins County, surprisingly during the heat of the day. I am skittish as I walk into the woods b4 daylight but I keep telling myself he is more afraid of me...I know yeah right

338lapuaman

Maybe they will relocate 2 adult sow bears to start a population like they did the elk in East TN that would be even better.

Planking

I don't know about them being much of a hog predator. Hogs seem to have flourished around bears from what ive seen.

I also wish they were not reintroduced to such an extent.

mike243

Back in the 70-80's I didn't think nothing about laying down next to a tree and taking a nap, no telling what went by while I was snoring or not, it was rare to see a deer in ETn much less kill them every season lol. I don't do that any more, in a tree stand I been known to get a little shuteye but not on the ground. While I don't bow hunt any more I don't want to have to carry my 45 with hard cast loaded to deal with them, walked into a herd of hogs in Catoosa 1 morning before day light and the battery's almost shot in my flash light, didn't like that a bit either .