BDC site-in help???

ratsnakeboogy

Ok, I'm mounting the Minox w/BDC reticle on the Remington Ti tonight and I have no idea on where to start with site-in, I have never used a BDC before. It's chambered 30-06 and I'm going to use Remington Core-Lokt 165gr because I've heard good things and they are readily available close to home.

Where should I start, 100yards, 150, 200???

I'm putting this rifle together to hopefully hunt some fields fields in Middle TN next year. I just hunt woods here, so the Model 7 gets the nod.

Any help is appreciated.

fastbs

it's really up to ya. Each load and rifle is going to be a little diffent with the factory BDC reticle set ups.

I zero at 100 then click my scope up however high i want my poi to be at 100 and test it. If your scope adjustments prove to be reliable you can adjust a little for each situation.

a BDC use example... if you want the next line down on the reticle to be 350 yds shoot from 350 and adjust your magnification till the next line down lines up with POI. then remember that magnification for next time you shoot that distance.

ratsnakeboogy

fastbs said:
it's really up to ya. Each load and rifle is going to be a little diffent with the factory BDC reticle set ups.

I zero at 100 then click my scope up however high i want my poi to be at 100 and test it. If your scope adjustments prove to be reliable you can adjust a little for each situation.

a BDC use example... if you want the next line down on the reticle to be 350 yds shoot from 350 and adjust your magnification till the next line down lines up with POI. then remember that magnification for next time you shoot that distance.

That sounds a bit more complicated than I figured it would be. Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong. I want the true + to be zeroed at 100, so then I just back up to 200 and shoot, then adjust the second line 'till it matches that hole? and so on?

Would it advantageous to zero at 150, then 250, then 350?

fastbs

ratsnakeboogy said:
That sounds a bit more complicated than I figured it would be. Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong. I want the true + to be zeroed at 100, so then I just back up to 200 and shoot, then adjust the second line 'till it matches that hole? and so on?
you go it. (Note: this method doesn't work in first focal plane scopes because the reticle doesn't change with the magnification)

ratsnakeboogy said:
Would it advantageous to zero at 150, then 250, then 350?

that's up to you, most 30-06 loads are pretty flat to 200. A lot also depends on the ranges you hunt at.
i guess i'd try 200, 300, 400. Once you get to playing with it you'll probably decided where you want it as you go. With out a good rest 400yd plus is a bit of a stretch for me to hold steady enough.

Tiny

Check with the scope maker to see what they suggest for the load your going to be using,they usally come with a list of selected calibers and loads. That said the couple of BDC scopes I've played with Burris and a Redfield for standard calibers like the O6 sight dead on @ 100 each dot or cross is for 200-300-400-500 to the top of the bottom duplex post. You may may be a little high or low than aiming point but usally close enough to still hit the vitals. I haven't shot plast 200 with one though.

My uncles 06 with handloaded 150gr Accubonds are dead @ 200 with a dead on zero @ 100 to the frist mark on his Burris's.

fastbs does make sense with what he posted based on what litlle I have played with them to 200 they aint needed with most calibers and a good many to 300 IMO. I decided to forgo the BDC and zero my '06 1-2 high @ 100 and hold to the top of the back @ 300.

ratsnakeboogy

It didn't come with any ballistic tables, it dang should have though. I'll do a little research and see what they say. Dies anyone have a ballistics program that will guestimate drop on the core-lokt 165 without have to know chrony numbers?

firefox

ratsnakeboogy,
Just sight it in dead-on 100 and hold a group less than two inches. Then try a bread-basket shot out to the BDC lines on a calm wind day. It will build your confidence but the key is do not try to replicate any previous groups on a windy day.

ratsnakeboogy

firefox said:
ratsnakeboogy,
Just sight it in dead-on 100 and hold a group less than two inches. Then try a bread-basket shot out to the BDC lines on a calm wind day. It will build your confidence but the key is do not try to replicate any previous groups on a windy day.

10-4,

Thanks!!

cecil30-30

I just sighted my 30-06 in with winchester 150gr powerpoints, dead on at 100yds and at 200yds it was hitting about 2.5inches low.Didn't get to try any farther,because thats the farthest I can shoot.

Latest posts