batteries

TheLBLman

Thanks for the explanation, Andy!
We have a data logger at work with software that's used to reset the logger....in the software there is a warning to disregard the "battery monitor" if lithium batteries are used.....I never understood why....until reading your explanation....makes sense now....thanks for sharing.
Trail cams should have a similar warning to disregard the battery monitor if lithium batteries are used.

I don't pay any attention to what specific brand or type battery I use. . . . . . run months and months on 6 AA's are so good that I don't even question if I'm getting the optimum life possible or not.
Trail cams should also have a warning that they may stop working (temporarily) if using alkaline batteries when temperatures fall below freezing.

Using alkaline batteries in cold weather, the user may not be aware his cams are not taking pics properly, as they resume back to working once the temperatures rise. Often, this is a case of the cams not working in the wee hours of morning, but may not resume working again until after sunrise, causing you to miss getting pics of deer coming by at that peak time between dawn and sunrise.

Keep in mind, we're paying to get pictures, 24/7.
If your cam is not working 24/7, you're paying for something you're not getting.

Once you consider ALL the costs associated with getting those prize pictures,
such as the number of trips, and the number of pics you get, how many hours daily your cam operates properly,
sometimes, particularly in December & January, lithium batteries may become the lowest-cost option.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Interesting and makes sense. My Reconyx cameras have the option of selecting the type of batteries you are using. I guess changing that setting would alter how the battery meter operates.

Andy S.

I currently run Browning Dark Ops trail cameras, Reconyx trail cameras and Tactacam Reveal cellular cameras. The only one that has an option to set the battery type is Reconyx. It has two settings to pick from, NiMH rechargeable or Lithium. I have used NiMH rechargeables for years in cameras, but I only use them in cool/mild and cold temps. Extremely high temps ( > 90 Fahrenheit) can reduce run time considerably when using NiMH rechargeables. For the most part these days, I run Energizer "Ultimate" Lithiums (L91 battery type) from Sam's Club.

Last edited:

ttf909

Only energizer. Lost a good deal of electronics one summer to Duracell. Never again.
Mostly standard energizer . When using lithium the battery meter on cell cams will read 100percent and the camera die. I suppose because the lithium die all at once instead of a slow drain down .
Same with cr123a lithium in pvs14, ir laser or led flashlights, they just go dead all at once instead of dimming down.

JCDEERMAN

When using lithium the battery meter on cell cams will read 100percent and the camera die. I suppose because the lithium die all at once instead of a slow drain down .
Same with cr123a lithium in pvs14, ir laser or led flashlights, they just go dead all at once instead of dimming down.
I didn't think about that with the cr123a batteries. But you're right - I have a thermal scope that uses these batteries and it will work great for a period of time, then just die. I always wondered why just the day before it was 100 percent. Those are the batteries it says to use though, so you would think it would have a battery meter for that battery!

DoubleRidge

I agree lithium batteries dieing all at once with no warning is not appealing.... and I've never used lithium.....but the idea of a camera running all year without a battery change is a nice trade off....we run cameras nine months out of year....and currently change regular batteries multiple times during that time period..... especially during cold weather.....couple of our older cameras really eat batteries so we're gonna try lithium in them to try and reduce the number of regular batteries we've been using.

TheLBLman

....we run cameras nine months out of year....and currently change regular batteries multiple times during that time period..... especially during cold weather.....
Sounds like going to lithiums might actually save you $ and time.
Personally, I avoid needing to change any cam's batteries DURING hunting season.
The fewer trips and the less time you can spend near your cams, the better.
You will typically get more older deer pics when you disturb the area less.

Often, hunters "scouting" and checking their cams places more "pressure" or "disturbance" on the deer they're hunting, than their actual hunting itself.
And the less you disturb the deer you're hunting, usually the more they'll move during daylight hours.

DoubleRidge

Sounds like going to lithiums might actually save you $ and time.
Personally, I avoid needing to change any cam's batteries DURING hunting season.
The fewer trips and the less time you can spend near your cams, the better.
You will typically get more older deer pics when you disturb the area less.

Often, hunters "scouting" and checking their cams places more "pressure" or "disturbance" on the deer they're hunting, than their actual hunting itself.
And the less you disturb the deer you're hunting, usually the more they'll move during daylight hours.

Totally agree....I try to check them every 3 to 4 weeks..... prefer running them in the middle of the day...and if it's windy or raining all the better....also agree that lithium may actually be a cost savings over the long run.

billyboy

I use lithium Batteries in cameras that I don't check very often. The ones I check regularly get Amazon or Energizer rechargeable to save some $$$. The rechargeable discharge more quickly, but I've been using the same ones for years.

Latest posts