Bass supper

Displaced_Vol

Any way to negate the taste if they come out of a dirty old pond? Soak in saltwater? bleed em?
I don't know but that's what I've got. Like I said it needs fish taken out of it anyway but I hate to waste em. Kept several small bluegill the other day and just froze them whole to use for bait later this year.

UCStandSitter

Any way to negate the taste if they come out of a dirty old pond? Soak in saltwater? bleed em?
I don't know but that's what I've got. Like I said it needs fish taken out of it anyway but I hate to waste em. Kept several small bluegill the other day and just froze them whole to use for bait later this year.
Soakin em in salt water in the fridge overnight tends to knock that taste down for me. Everyone's taste buds are different though. Wife doesn't like em that way

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
A guy I know catches lots of crappie and catfish.
He said he always soaks his catfish in white milk overnight.
Might work for bass, dunno?

NumberOne

yeah ive gotten to where i like crappie less and less unless they are less than 11" and fried whole bone in. no matter what i do thick "slabs" fall apart or break in half even if i cut them in two. plus, to me, crappie just has a strong fish smell.

lol guess ive gotten spoiled to spots, bluegill and gasper goo. fiddler blue cats are fine too.
Eat all the spots you can catch out of Jville haha I hate those things. Although they do put up a fight, its a sight to behold if you catch one that's 1.5 pounds. They eat everything can never grow on KY lake. They are pests.

WTM

Eat all the spots you can catch out of Jville haha I hate those things. Although they do put up a fight, its a sight to behold if you catch one that's 1.5 pounds. They eat everything can never grow on KY lake. They are pests.
pretty much do. run into wads of them occasionally. they are psycho like a woman. can be 4ft deep one minute and 60ft deep hugging bottom the next. biggest one ive caught yet was about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. most are just good eating size.

Spurhunter

The "decent" bass my brother is holding get let go. The "decent" bass are fun, some days we catch 25-30 that size.
The pic of the "decent" bass is labeled 6.5lbs.jpg. I knew you were a big fish machine, but catching thirty 6 and a half pound bass in a day is remarkable. If I was that good at catching 6.5 pounders I probably wouldn't even take pics of them labeled with the weight. I would just be like "ho hum, another 6.5 pounder." In another thread a month ago you said "bass is truly a non factor in being a "fighting" fish. Well smallmouth put up a decent fight, but largemouth are for sure "slugs" in comparison." So, are these "decent" bass (6.5 pounders) fun as you said above, or are they non fighting fish and slugs? You can probably understand my confusion after reading seemingly contrary descriptions of largemouth bass.

Headhunter

Compared to a hybrid, bass are slugs, they basically are a non fight.

Never said I don't like catching bass, I love catching bass, actually catching bluegill and crappie are 2 of my favorites not only to eat but catch, but that is correct, "bass is truly a non factor in being a "fighting" fish. Well smallmouth put up a decent fight, but largemouth are for sure "slugs" in comparison."

I will say one advantage is seeing bass jump, especially like the one my brother is holding. I love to see them jumping. Hybrids will jump, but it usually only happens a time or 2 a year.

As far what I truly think, I rarely fish for bass in April and May anymore (other than when my friend with the place in the pics calls and says come up), why because I am chasing hybrids instead those "slug" bass. I have caught some really nice bass while fishing for hybrids, one smallie was just over 5 lbs and several largemouth 4, 5, and over 6 lbs. When I catch the smallmouth, that is a good fight. When I catch a largemouth, even over 6, seems like a non event, especially when it happens on the handful of times each spring when I am catching hybrids over 10 lbs.

Absolutely no comparison.

Headhunter

I have caught a few "decent" bass in my, just a few.:)

Forgot, that pic with my brother, it was one of the best, added a few more pics from his place. They were killing topwater, although it is what I would call "cheating" because it is a private managed lake. Never ever stocked, he is talking about stocking Florida strain in a lake or two, maybe even walleye in one, but all the fish have been there since he bought the farm.

Attachments

• close to 5.jpg
    close to 5.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 41
  • just over 6.jpg
    just over 6.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG00482-20120414-1914.jpg
    IMG00482-20120414-1914.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG00480-20120414-1853.jpg
    IMG00480-20120414-1853.jpg