Bass boat, ramps, and fwd / minivan

tnraised

Hey, I figured y'all would know about local ramps better than myself. I am looking to get a used Tracker something like a Pro 17.

I am not concerned about my van's tow capacity, we tow trailers, have air bags, and the boat is way under any limits (3500#).

What I am concerned about is the pitch of some ramps or dirt/gravel ramps and FWD. Example: Herb Parsons is short and a hard angle.

Any idea on localish WestTn/NorthMS lakes and their access points?

I have always been a bank fisher and used Trackers/Alumacraft seem like a great way to get on the water assuming I do not need another vehicle. The internet is the internet, some say it is fine, some say Poseidon will drown me for attempting it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Browns Creek Lake (Natchez Trace State Park) you would be fine with, and probably either ramp at Lake Graham(Jackson, TN). I wouldn't try Maple Creek Lake (Natchez Trace State Park) , that ramp is in the middle of a curved drive in is quite steep with a weird drop on one side at the base of the ramp. I haven't been to any of the other big lakes around in quite a while. We usually do one of those 3 or go to Ky Lake, but I pull my boat with a 4wd truck.

tnraised

Thanks for the reply, I wasnt aware of Lake Graham, always something new. Sounds like there are some good options (Glenn Springs is easy too) and if we like it that much or are limited we can look at a new tow vehicle. Have a good one!

Grnwing

I would think you'd be fine. Front wheel drive usually means your tires are on dry ground and you have the weight of the engine pushing down for added traction. The worst ramp issues I have encountered are with 2WD trucks on gravel launches or in below freezing weather on concrete ramps. I know you wouldn't have an issue at herb parsons with it. Growing up we used an old 1984 dodge caravan with a mighty 4 cylinder to haul around a boat on the upper MS. It worked just fine. Take it slow and get comfortable with it.

WTM

shouldnt be a problem. mid section ky lake, birdsong marina ramp is fairly flat, wide and they have a courtesy dock. the ramp at the state park and below the dam at pickwick arent too bad. big sandy has a twra ramp off of new hope road that is fairly flat. you wont get into any trouble launching from these ramps as long as you run the channel bouys. one word of caution if you run ky lake to south after the first week of july you better have some good up to date lake maps.

cmaps has a free version for iphone/android that is really accurate if you dont want to invest in a good chartplotter. they surveyed the lake during winter pool, which is good.

lol, friend of a friend launches his pontoon with a jeep wrangler. now that is some funny blank to watch.

waynesworld

I would think you would be fine with most ramps, I am not familiar with those lakes but I have a heavier boat that i pulled with a pathfinder and pulled in and out with real steep ramps. one thing about front wheel is it stays in the dry the other like stated the weight of the engine is on the driving wheels.

tnraised

Whew, thanks for the comments, I was thinking it'd be fine, especially after I have seen sedans pulling small bass boats. Knowing local ramps is nice and I appreciate y'all. Now to find a Tracker... See you on the water!

WTM

ill give some more advise about trackers, if you buy a late model with the diamond coat paint, DO NOT UNDO THE WINCH STRAP UNTIL YOU ARE OVER WATER. or else you wont have to worry about backing down the ramp, it will slide off the trailer and be waiting for you in the water.

whatever they put in that paint is sliiiick.

tnraised

Thanks y'all, looks like I will figure it our real soon, got an 80s tracker today, lets see how this goes, thanks for the input!

Latest posts