Banh Mi

Mud Creek

Well, sort of my version anyway!

This cook didn't go exactly as planned but still turned out surprisingly good! We had plans to go out to eat Friday evening with family and I was going to smoke pork belly Saturday but my daughter getting sick late Thursday and into early Friday morning changed that. With nothing planned, and and no desire to go through the whole "What do you feel like eating?" dance with my wife, I told her I was just going to put the belly on around noon.

I didn't have high hopes since I felt like it was a little rushed. Normally I'd let it sit in the rub for about 24 hours, this time only a hour. 225 degrees would've been ideal, but I cranked it up to 275 to shave some time down. It took just shy of 5 hours and rested for about 45 minutes before I sliced it. We did a quick pickle on red onion, white onion, cucumber, and some jalapenos using rice wine vinegar, kosher salt, and sugar. I wasn't really pleased with appearance but the taste and texture was perfect, it was seriously like butter!! I wish it wouldn't have felt as rushed but it still turned out great! This here mightve put pork belly over brisket for me(as much as it pains me to say that because I love brisket)
20230526_171618.jpg
20230526_172911.jpg
20230526_173131.jpg
20230526_182230.jpg

mike243

Looks great, smoked my first belly recently, wished my pellet smoker had a 275 setting, 250-300 , I feel that's a great compromise between low slow and high fast

Mud Creek

Looks great, smoked my first belly recently, wished my pellet smoker had a 275 setting, 250-300 , I feel that's a great compromise between low slow and high fast
I was afraid the belly might dry out with a hotter cook and shorter rest but I was wrong. I will do it this exact way next time, maybe tweaking my rub a little. I was really suprised it was so good!

TAFKAP

The Vietnamese Bahn Mi is arguably the greatest sandwich in the world. I need to do this very soon once I figure out the ground pork they use in them as well. I will deduct 0.5 points for pickled jalapenos instead of fresh, but nice execution all around.

Mud Creek

I will deduct 0.5 points for pickled jalapenos instead of fresh, but nice execution all around.

Lol I used what was pickled from the garden last year but it would've been better fresh for sure. The original recipe I saw for this called for pork belly burnt ends instead of slices I will probably go that route next time.

TAFKAP

Nah, yours is probably much closer to reality than the burnt ends. All the bahn mi's I've ever eaten were sliced roast pork, ground pork, pork sausage, and a smear of paté on the roll.

Latest posts