Ban on inline muzzleloaders?

TheLBLman

There is near zero chance of inline muzzleloaders being banned in TN (at least regarding the statewide muzzleloader season).

Much more likely that what was muzzleloader will simply become an addition to the regular rifle season (and that's probably not likely anytime soon).

The TREND is for greater weapon choices, not more restrictive. If someone wants to use a flintlock or a recurve during rifle deer season, they are free to do so, without imposing on the majority of deer hunters who prefer to use a more effective weapon.

Have you seen what they've done in South Carolina?
(I believe this is how we're TRENDING . . . . . .)
Their equivalent of TN's Unit L works like this:
Deer Season Opens on August 15 and Closes on January 1.
You can use whatever weapon you prefer (archery, muzzleloader, rifle, etc.)
SIMPLE.

Rubberduck270

Wes Parrish said:
There is near zero chance of inline muzzleloaders being banned in TN (at least regarding the statewide muzzleloader season).
Good. If you boys want to hunt with a flintlock and wear buckskins then go for it. With all the different rules and regulations ya'll are proposing its starting to sound like ObamaHunt.

deerhunter10

Wes Parrish said:
deerhunter10 said:
I would go out on the limb and say there would be zero difference in their success.
In terms of just having an orange vest & cap, I would agree.
But I've observed many hunters do not seem as aware of the scent issues of wearing the same orange vest & cap, day after day, week after week. I think some bowhunters would be like many gun hunters, and it would be the scent issue that might adversely effect them.

oh I agree very few people actually play the wind right. and even fewer people wash stuff like there hats and orange vest and things like that.

Doskil

Rubberduck270 said:
Wes Parrish said:
Good. If you boys want to hunt with a flintlock and wear buckskins then go for it. With all the different rules and regulations ya'll are proposing its starting to sound like ObamaHunt.

So why not follow South Carolina's lead?

TheLBLman

I think we are "trending" the way of South Carolina, but I'd prefer to see a gradual shift rather than a sudden change to this.

Part of this shift has been happening over the years via so-called "primitive" weapons becoming more high-tech and modern. When I started bowhunting, I (and about everyone else) was using a recurve bow, my release was my fingers, and my sights were nil. I didn't start muzzleloader hunting with a flintlock, but the guns of Tennessee's initial muzzleloader season had about half the effective range of today's, and weren't nearly as reliable to shoot.

People can argue the finer points about their weapons, but modern bows, crossbows, and scoped inline muzzleloaders (using BH209 and/or smokeless powders) have certainly about closed the gap in "effectiveness" compared to what so many deer hunters used as a centerfire rifle a few years ago. Think about it. When most deer hunters were using a recurve during archery, most "gun" hunters were using a lever-action 30/30 with open sights. And today, those relatively inaccurate 30/30's have been mostly replaced with more accurate rifles with far superior optical sights, probably about doubling the effective range of most rifle hunters compared to a few decades ago.

Personally, I'd like a continuance of "different" weapon seasons, but believe it should be downplayed as being "special". No one is more special just because they are more enthused about one particular weapon over another. And note how most bowhunters and most muzzleloader hunters will head afield with the most technologically advanced legal weapons they can afford. How many bowhunters are using a recurve today?

No avid bowhunter should take this wrong, as I'm just pointing out that most bowhunters are not using a recurve, and most bowhunters will be heading afield with a rifle when it's legal. At the end of the day, first and foremost, we are hunters. And we are hunters who like to hunt deer.

TheLBLman

Personally, I rather selfishly enjoy having the woods to myself bowhunting on a beautiful fall day in late October. But I might enjoy it even more if I were carrying my inline muzzleloader. :)

That said, if I were "treaking" the TN deer regs, I'd probably open each season segment (archery, muzzleloader, gun) a week earlier. (Would also change the 3-buck limit to a 2-buck limit.)

TN Whitetail Freak

Heres what i wouldnt mind seeing roughly

Sept 23 Modern Archery Equipment (crossbows for ages 5-16 & 50+)
Nov 10 Primitive muzzle loaders (flintlocks) & open crossbow to all ages
Nov 24 inline muzzleloaders & Rifles
Dec 21 close rifle season and inlines and back to primitive muzzleloader/crossbows
Jan 6 end of season
Jan 12 juvi hunt
Jan 19-February 13 Recurves only

Doskil

Rubberduck270 said:
Doskil said:
I'm 110% in favor of it. Have been for years.

I think most southern states could go that way

Set the season and just regulate the antlerless deer harvest

Bone Collector

Wes Parrish said:

I agree with you on the near zero chance which is why I am wondering why this is still being debated :confused: I guess this is the "new" 1 buck limit thread... :grin:

Wes Parrish said:
Have you seen what they've done in South Carolina?
(I beieve this is how we're TRENDING . . . . . .)
Their equivalent of TN's Unit L works like this:
Deer Season Opens on August 15 and Closes on January 1.
You can use whatever weapon you prefer (archery, muzzleloader, rifle, etc.)
SIMPLE.

I sure hope not. 1. the deer there are tiny, like the size of a dog. No lie. 2. they have no limit on bucks in those zones??
I know you're not advocating that (at least i hope not) and are just saying that they let you use what you want.

If you let guys shoot guns at deer in Sept. the deer on WMA's will be near nocturnal by the middle of Oct. I see it happen every year on Priest. It is easy to sit back as a private land owner or hunter and throw your .02 in on this, but you'd alienate probably 1/2 the hunters in this state, probably more. WHo wants to buy a $100+ license to be able to pop a deer in Sept with a rifle when they have to fight the masses the first two weeks and then don't see deer the rest of the season??? Simple No one. people will quit and our numbers will be reduced again. I'm sure at first it will be wildly popular, but will lose its appeal in a short amount of time.

Bone Collector

TN Whitetail Freak said:
Heres what i wouldnt mind seeing roughly

Sept 23 Modern Archery Equipment (crossbows for ages 5-16 & 50+)
Nov 10 Primitive muzzle loaders (flintlocks) & open crossbow to all ages
Nov 24 inline muzzleloaders & Rifles
Dec 21 close rifle season and inlines and back to primitive muzzleloader/crossbows
Jan 6 end of season
Jan 12 juvi hunt
Jan 19-February 13 Recurves only

ughhh NO! :D to each their own though.

Doskil

Poser said:
Rubberduck270 said:
Doskil said:
I'm 110% in favor of it. Have been for years.

If we are going to follow SC's "lead", then we'll have to consider deer dogging as an option as well. Some, even many, would argue that the quintessential South Carolina deer hunting experience is running dogs. With all this talk of a "all weapon" season, deer dogging is the next step in the conversation. ;)

Not quite the same.

Deer dogging is not legal anywhere in TN.

An 'any legal weapon' season only for private lands would give landowners more choice.

Bow and muzzleloader seasons are left overs from a time when the state had very few deer.

Latest posts