Bama or Ohio State?

nitro_z17

After having watched Ohio State-Wisconsin, not only does Ohio State not deserve to go to the CFP, it might not even deserve to rise from its current position of 8th. If anyone other than Bama goes as 4, it de-legitimizes the whole process.

if a SEC team had a 30 point loss there wouldn't be a debate

PalsPal

nitro_z17":23mr75df said:
After having watched Ohio State-Wisconsin, not only does Ohio State not deserve to go to the CFP, it might not even deserve to rise from its current position of 8th. If anyone other than Bama goes as 4, it de-legitimizes the whole process.

if a SEC team had a 30 point loss there wouldn't be a debate

Very true. However, were you not paying attention to the announcers during last night's game :D ?

BTW, Wisc got hosed when they didn't get offsetting penalties on that last drive. It was a blatant tackle by the OS DB before the ball got to the receiver, yet they only called a hold on the Wisc lineman (which it was). Instead of offsetting penalties, they now had a 1st and 20, and couldn't recover.

It was VERY telling that Fox never showed a replay of the pass interference, even though the announcers did mention the Wisc fans "displeasure" :roll: !

BTW, I wonder if the committee sets it up so that GA and Bama play the first round?

nitro_z17

another reason to get 2 SEC teams, pre-game prices

Get-in Prices to Championship Games on @StubHub (before fees):

SEC: $550
ACC: $110
Big Ten: $85
Big 12: $61
Pac 12: $19
MAC: $9
CUSA: $9
AAC: $6

Scioto

Big Ten champions! All I care about. I just wish this year the Rose Bowl wasn't one of the semi-final games so we could have a throwback to a Woody vs John McKay battle or Earle vs. John Robinson battle. Give the South its playoffs and add another cut to the thousands of cuts to eSECpn revenues, as 3/4ths of the country doesn't tune in. Might just also help hasten the demise of the biased CFP or at least get us closer to an 8 team playoff.

Had Ohio State blown out Wisky, it may have had a shot at getting in. For a while, I thought that might happen, but the play calling got too cute when they got into the red zone. But still a win is a win, and I'll take it and the championship.

But let's at least look at the criteria the Committee is supposed to look at in case they think Ohio State and Alabama are "comparable," although I know that's heresy.

1- championships won - Ohio State gets the nod
2- strength of schedule - let's return to this
3- Head-to-head - nope
4- comparable outcomes of common opponents within incenting margin of victory - no common opponents

I believe the Committee uses its own SoS. While I question whether 12-13 games provides an adequate sample size to apply such a statistical measure, when I checked eSECpn's FPI index yesterday before the games Alabama and Ohio State were ranked 1 and 2, respectively in that measure. After the win over Wisky, Ohio State should take over Alabama in that eSECpn measure. There are other measures that will show OSU with a stronger SoS and others that will show Alabama with a stronger SoS. When I look at records against teams in the top 25 (currently), it's Alabama 2-1 vs Ohio State's 3-1. Nod to Ohio State. But let's at least give Bama credit for that huge win over Fresno State. Record against teams that had been ranked at any time in the CFP top 25, it's Bama 3-1 to Ohio State's 4-2. I still give the nod to Ohio State. But let's get into the case of Michigan, because it is relevant to the overall analysis and does more than anything to show the bias of the Committee. Michigan is no longer ranked, although LSU and Mississippi State are. This is the same Michigan whose three losses are all to top 10 teams, yet LSU with three losses can be ranked even though it lost to Troy. Miss State can be ranked over Michigan even with four losses. Heck, even Fresno State got into the penultimate rankings over Michigan. No Committee eSECpn bias? Ohio State has wins over two top 10 teams. Alabama has none. Ohio State has more wins over ranked opponents, but it does have that horrible loss to Iowa. I don't see losses anywhere in the Committee's critieria, but if that's what anyone, including the Committee, uses to distinguish between the two teams on the comparability scale, so be it. I think that can happen when a conference plays a nine game conf schedule, instead of an eight game conf schedule, and doesn't allow its teams to schedule FCS opponents especially in November.

Scioto

They should expand to 8 and have the lower ranked visit the higher ranked for the first round games. Could you imagine a #4 OSU hosting a #5 Bama or vice versa? Those would be some awesome games.

Scioto

nitro_z17":sigjxwlf said:

I think the bad Iowa loss keeps Ohio State out this year like the Oklahoma win got them in last year. IMO neither are/were right decisions. Bama doesn't have better quality of wins but can't lose to Iowa by 31!

wayne

This is what you get when you design a 4 team playoff for 5 conferences.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

nitro_z17

lol twitter post:

Alabama's entire senior class has lost 5 games in 4 years by a combined 35 points.

Ohio State lost 1 game in 2017 by 31 points to unranked Iowa

nitro_z17

Biggest flaw of each @CFBPlayoff contender:

Clemson- lost to 4-8 Syracuse

Oklahoma- Three teams on the schedule combined for 2 wins

Georgia- Lost to Auburn on the road

Alabama- Didn't win division

Ohio State- Lost to Iowa by 31

If you weigh those which is least egregious?

Zulu

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I want Bama to come in as #4 and face Clemson in the opener. The Tigers looked unbeatable against Miami. Maybe this is the year to sit one out? Throw a bone to UCF, they're undefeated.

Scioto

I'm not surprised. Didn't watch the rest. What tortured logic did Holcutt use to justify Bama moving up when it didn't play a game? What softball questions did Homer Reece throw to him?

I've said before. Today marks the beginning of the end of the CFP. Nation's attention now turns back to the NFL. It will be a southern playoffs that the larger population and deeper pockets won't care about. Too bad for eSECpn.

Latest posts