bad fish hook experiences

TN Larry

Supporter
I have had a hook buried to the barb twice. The last time was with a jerkbait that had a wild smallmouth on the back hook and me on the middle hook. The bad part is that I was by myself. I like to have never got that devil fish unhooked. :)

Both times, I got the hook out with the line trick. It is not that hard. For you guys using pliers and going to the er, I would recommend learning this trick. One word of advice though, if in your hand, anchor it by putting your foot on your hand before yanking the line. If not anchored, it will not come out when pulled and only pull your hand forward.

Rackseeker

cricketteye_zps0bcf16ed.jpg

ole cricket eye.LOL.........

pockets

Supporter
FLTENNHUNTER1 said:
Super8 said:
Buddy was casting in the boat and about ripped my ear off.
Set a hook one time close to the boat and a buzz bait come flying back like a rocket and struck me in the sack, luckily it just caught me low and didnt hook me too bad that time.

Ouch!

Got any pictures? Never mind I don't want to see them. :D
X2

stik

throwing a "gotcha" bait on the beach at panama city , I caught a ladyfish that slipped out of my hand burying a hook in my finger. ladyfish flopping on one set of trebles, hook on other set digging deeper into my finger.

I was also almost pulled overboard checking a trotline when a hook slipped out of my hand and hooked my thumb.

Planking

Buried a treble between my pinky and ring finger and another one in the back of my arm near my tricep. Pushed one through with a pair of pliers, pulled the other back out with pliers. Not a fun experience but i kept fishing.

TNCharlie

I've had two. The second one was caused by a small stripe (white bass) that flopped just as I reached to unhook him. He made a perfect hook set into the end of my finger.

But the first was just crazy. It was a rainy and stormy Sunday morning and my SO was away for the weekend visiting her family. Here I was home alone and couldn't go fish or turkey hunt because the weather was so bad. I decided that this was a good morning to organize my tackle box.

I like to keep hooks on a large safety pin; that keeps them neat and untangled. I took out one of the safety pins of bream hooks and dropped it onto the carpet. When I tried to pick it up one of the hooks caught in the carpet nap and my pick-up motion planted another hook into a finger tip. Now I'm sitting in a recliner with my finger hooked to the carpet and I can't even stand up.

As I'm trying to figure out what to do, my finger starts bleeding. No longer concerned about my finger but very worried about explaining blood stains on the carpet when my SO returns, I managed to retrieve the needle nose pliers from the tackle box and get a grip on the hook in the carpet. A hard jerk set me free.

After opening the safety pin and separating my hooked finger from the hook bunch, with blood dripping even more drops onto the carpet, I dart into the kitchen and wrap my finger in a paper towel. Now I'm able to control the flow of blood, but what about the carpet?

I take the roll of paper towels and a pan of cold water and start scrubbing up each spot. It took me few minutes but all the blood came out. I was greatly relieved. But wait - I still have a hook in my finger. In the pouring rain I drove myself to the ER.

When my SO returned I told her the story, except for the part about blood on the carpet. :)

Poleaxe

9yrs old 200yards away from the pond on a church outing I over excitedly try and cast to it and hooked a kid perfectly in the ear. He would've been alright but he went running faster and when the slack ran out it was like setting the hook on him. It was funny.

UTGrad

Hooked a bass with a Rapala and was getting one of the trebles out. He flopped and slipped off my thumb falling to the ground. One of the hooks caught my middle finger on the way down.

I had no idea how to remove it so went to the ER. Doc numbed my finger and showed me how to get a hook out. Cut the shank and push it through.

moondawg

Tying on a crappie jig one time and somehow ended up with the hook in my finger. In between the fingernail and the cuticle. :eek: I wouldn't advise doing that...it hurts!

SES

Caught a 6 pound brown trout on the clinch a few summers back. Didn't have a net. Got it in the boat and was holding it with both hands and it started to slip. It fell and on of the trebles on my rattling rogue buried in the inside of my thigh with the fish still attached. Fish was rolling and flopping in my lap. The hook was completely buried in my leg. Had to cut the hook to get the fish off, cut my shorts so I could get to the hook and then had to grab the hook with the pliers, took a few deep breaths and yanked it out. Ruined my favorite fishing shorts.

moondawg

I refuse to fish with treble hooks. If I have a lure that has treble hooks, I'll cut off the front hook. Maybe even a second hook and just leave the back hook.

barkscaler

I was 12 at the time and decided to throw a big zara spook on an ultra lite pole....Big mistake.Bedded both hooks in the back of my right ear.They buried so deep I didn't have enough slack to cut the hooks off.So here I go to the er with a big ole spook hanging off my ear and everyone laughing at me.The nurse said,Boy you sure caught a big'un didn't ya.Haven't threw a spook since!

catman529

the worst I had was losing grip on a limb line in a creek on a jon boat. current took me downstream while the hook caught my hand and pulled to the point of bending the hook (a good tru turn hook I think) but it did not go past the barb. I was more concerned it could have torn the skin off my hand, but no harm done.

Latest posts