Bad coils on my F250

S

scn

Supporter
My hunting/fishing vehicle is a 2003 F250 with the 5.4L engine. I now have about 162,000 on it. When it is "right" it runs and drives like the day I got it. While I would love to get something newer, with a son in college, it just isn't a good time.

Starting around 140,000 miles, I have had coils going bad. I've had it in to my local mechanic three different times to replace bad coils. I think we have replaced 4-5 at this point. Every time, it runs great for a period of time, and then the same problem crops up. Yesterday I drove over to my lease in Stewart Co to pull some cameras. It couldn't have run better on the trip over. Coming back, after it started raining, it has all of the symptoms of another bad coil with the missing like I have had before.

My mechanic is great in trying to get me fixed on things without hitting me for extra that I don't need. I have inquired a couple of times about just replacing all of the coils at once for some better reliability and peace of mind on out of state trips. He has advised against it every time citing instances where he has done it for folks only to have them back in with a bad coil in a couple of months. For him, the reliability of those parts is a crap shoot.

I'm wanting to haul my boat down to LA next month to try to catch some redfish. I don't want these problems on the road. So, what is the best course of action? Do I bite the bullet and replace all with new OEM coils, or do I just replace the bad one (s) this time? I do intend to buy an extra to have on hand whichever route I go.

Thanks in advance to you guys that are much more vehicle knowledgeable than I am!

duckriver

duckriver

I'd replace all of them with the best i could afford to do after researching brands online

Dkizer18

Dkizer18

I would replace them all, that is what I did on my f 150 2000 model with the 5.4 and I never had that issue again. I did the same as you for the first few that went out then just replaced them all.

ImThere

ImThere

I bought mine off Amazon for like $80. Replaced them and all the spark plugs and they are still going strong 3 years later. They could crap out on me tomorrow and I would have got my money worth.

So that’s what I would recommend replace spark plugs and coil packs and ride on.

When mine start messing up again that’s exactly what I will do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNGunsmoke

TNGunsmoke

I'd replace them all at this point, with OEM or at least a different brand. If that's the same engine that is in the 05 series, I'd make sure the plugs were replaced as well. Those engines are bad to hold water on top of the engine and it just seeps in and fowls out the coil packs. I think I recall there being an aftermarket shield to go over them to aid with that problem, but I haven't looked at it since I traded my 05 off a couple years ago.

gtk

gtk

Administrator
Staff member
If teh same ones are going out, you either bought some cheap/bad coil packs, or something else is wrong. If the others are going out one-by-one, I would replace the remaining ones.

Hardwoodmaterials

Hardwoodmaterials

I have a 5.4 with 260,000 on it. The coils started going out and I got tired of messing with them one at a time very couple of months. I ordered a full set of generic coils and plugs on Amazon for less than $100. The local parts place was charging me $50 for each coil. I changed them all out myself in about an hour or so and haven't had any issues with them in well over a year. I also picked up a nicer code reader, a couple more coils and keep the handful of tools I need to change one in the truck just in case.

Andy S.

Andy S.

TNGunsmoke":38xd9a5k said:
I'd replace them all at this point, with OEM or at least a different brand. If that's the same engine that is in the 05 series, I'd make sure the plugs were replaced as well.
x2

T

TNTreeman

Supporter
Got 2 vehicles with that motor and have that problem before. Replace them all with good ones. Get them from eBay or Amazon . Replace plugs and wires to. You can get better parts half the price online than cheap ones at stores. Another prob I had was a bad seal around my window and it would leak into my computer and cause very similar issues. Spray soapy water around outside of seal and spray air from a compressor inside. If seal is bad it will blow bubbles. You can have a new seal put in for around $100.

Andy S.

Andy S.

Steve,

If I were buying OEM (Motorcraft, DG 508), I would buy the coils from Amazon for $37/piece.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-Ignit ... l+pack+5.4

However, I personally would be fine with purchasing a DENSO product in place of Motorcraft. Pop a Toyota's hood and you will see Denso parts everywhere, dating back to the generation one models (late 80s). I have had great luck with Denso products over the years. If I were purchasing DENSO 6736000 coils (one you need), I would look at Rock Auto for about half the price ($22/coil) of Motorcraft.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 56&jsn=556

I know Ford will recommend OEM plugs (Motorcraft), but in my opinion, NGK makes the best plugs out there. You can get some high quality Iridiums (NGK 7164 {#2885, TR55IX} Iridium IX) for $6/plug.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 91&jsn=791

For me, if I am going to keep the truck and pay for the labor, I try to get the best bang for my buck on labor and replace the most parts I can at the time so it will serve me well in the future.

Good luck with your repairs, hope they serve you well for many miles and many safe trips.

S

SAWDUST

the main question is ..is the same ones you already replaced going bad...if so then that's your problem,get a different brand.......if its different ones going bad each time then replace them all.

V

Voldeerfan

Supporter
Had the same thing with our 5.4, and was told by several mechanics, including a couple of Ford certified mechanics, that once they start, you will end up replacing all of them. We changed ours two at a time and never had another problem. Good luck.

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
I don't have a 5.4 but I do have a 4.6. One bank in the motor went nuts. Took about a week of swapping them out to figure out it wasn't a coil. Somehow I had moisture shorting the coil out. I think I ended up replacing the coil, but kept the old one. My mechanic blew everything out and checked my plugs while he was at it. Only thing I can think of is I hit some water holes I shouldn't of, but the joy on my daughter's face while doing it was priceless [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy S.

Andy S.

Voldeerfan":1w5id3rz said:
....was told by several mechanics, including a couple of Ford certified mechanics, that once they start, you will end up replacing all of them.
Exactly what the local mechanics around here say as well. If one is bad, the others are well on their way. Replace them all, along with plugs, and be done with it.

double browtine

double browtine

I have always been a Chevy guy. I bought a 2001 Excursion with the 6.8 V10. Been down the same road with it. I also found several of the electrical clips on the coils and fuel injectors had some connection issues, and a couple were cracked. So yours may need replacing. Also, if you have a bad coil, it usually shuts off the fuel injector for that cylinder. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos about these issues, and I would much rather work on an old school carb than all these new electronic sensors and mess.

Steyrhunter

Steyrhunter

I just replaced all my coils for the first time, last week on my 2002 F-150 at 251,000 miles. Thought it would be wise to just do them all due to the age and mileage.