Bacon question

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
I am on a food kick today I guess.

Back a few months ago we quit frying bacon in a skillet.
Line a cookie pan with aluminum foil and lay the bacon out on it.
Throw it in the oven at like 375.

What baffles me is why does it not try and curl up like it does when you fry it in a skillet?

Lays perfectly flat the entire time.
Can't tell any difference in the taste and after you take it up you can very carefully fold the aluminum foil up and chunk it and there is zero grease in the pan. :D

K

KyRick

We have been cooking bacon like that for years. No mess, no clean up, less shrinkage and it tastes better, at least to us.

Grandslam11

Grandslam11

How long do you typically cook it for? I have never tried it that way. Does it not platter grease all over the inside of your oven?

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Grandslam11":2giheort said:
How long do you typically cook it for? I have never tried it that way. Does it not platter grease all over the inside of your oven?

I'm not real sure, I just take it up RIGHT before it looks "done".
I am gonna say maybe 10 minutes?
Seems to be over done if you wait till it looks perfect. Like it cooks a little after you take it out.
No, I have not seen any grease splatter out at all. It is like it doesn't ever sizzle, just cooks.

Really neat.

duckduck84

duckduck84

KyRick":2c406vel said:
We have been cooking bacon like that for years. No mess, no clean up, less shrinkage and it tastes better, at least to us.
Same here. Learned it from my bro in law.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

duckduck84

duckduck84

Ruger,
I wonder if it's the temp that makes it curl up in the skillet? Too hot and it makes it warp up like that.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
duckduck84":1encziro said:
Ruger,
I wonder if it's the temp that makes it curl up in the skillet? Too hot and it makes it warp up like that.

Bout the only thing I can think of.

L

little highriser

I lay paper towels on cookie sheet and spray cookie sheet and paper towels with non stick spray. This way the paper towels soak up the grease and bacon will not stick to the paper towels. Bake on 400.

E

eddie c

RUGER":1la0il7y said:
duckduck84":1la0il7y said:
Ruger,

Bout the only thing I can think of.

skillet it's cooked from one side, in the oven the heat surrounds it. my wife puts it on racks on the cookie sheet so the grease will drip off the bacon. she does hog jowl the same way but it splatters so she coats it with flour to stop the splatter.
I noticed a local café that I eat breakfast at every morning pulling their bacon out of the oven on huge cookie sheets. i bet there's 5 lbs of bacon on that sheet. I asked her how long does she cook it. 9-11 minutes depending on the thickness. I forgot what temp.

Stalkhunter

Stalkhunter

Use parchment paper instead. Wife and I stop frying in pan
Way better for you no mess.

I do still cook it on my gas Back Stone grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

KyRick

Another tip is to put a wire rack on your cookie sheet and then the bacon does not lay in the grease. Spray the rack, and agree use either foil or parchment, we use parchment.

ttf909

ttf909

Supporter
My wife uses casserole pan and not only is it crunchy but has the best taste ever.I didn't know that it lays flat , that's even better.

Big Gun

Big Gun

KyRick":11376ulm said:
Another tip is to put a wire rack on your cookie sheet and then the bacon does not lay in the grease. Spray the rack, and agree use either foil or parchment, we use parchment.
That's what we do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TAFKAP

TAFKAP

RUGER":31qa9q59 said:
I am on a food kick today I guess.

Back a few months ago we quit frying bacon in a skillet.
Line a cookie pan with aluminum foil and lay the bacon out on it.
Throw it in the oven at like 375.

What baffles me is why does it not try and curl up like it does when you fry it in a skillet?

Lays perfectly flat the entire time.
Can't tell any difference in the taste and after you take it up you can very carefully fold the aluminum foil up and chunk it and there is zero grease in the pan. :D

Because the air on top is hot, the bacon cooks evenly. It curls because the hot skillet is a different temperature than the air around it.

Another trick to oven "baking" your bacon is to line the bottom of a cookie sheet with paper towels, and run enough water in the pan that the paper towels are soaked, but there's still a bit of standing water. Then lay your bacon out on a rack that nests inside the cookie sheet.

Once the bacon is nearly ready, lift each piece off and lay it back down, otherwise it'll stick to the rack.

M

mike243

Start your bacon in a cold skillet and it wont curl most of the time,2nd batch will

casjoker

casjoker

Supporter
My wife does the oven trick. I still use the frying pan mostly to irritate my wife... :D