Back from the dermatologist

poorhunter

I went several years ago and all was clear. He said that because I’m out in the sun every day that I was low risk, just told me to not get burned, which is almost never for me.

Snowwolfe

When I see people riding motorcycles and bikes in short sleeves I just cringe. Even worse are the people almost naked while fishing or boating and the red skin can be seen 100 yards away.
Pay the piper now, or pay for it with loss of tissue in the future.

WestTn Huntin man

Skin Cancer is one of the easiest to treat with early detection . It runs in my Moms family. I have gotten annual check ups for many years and avoided anything serious.
My mother and brother have had so many surgery's and skin grafts I have lost count. My brother has let suspicious spots go without treatment go more than once. 1st time part of his upper lip was removed. They cut part of his lower lip off and sewed it on top. His mouth was sewed shut except a hole for a straw until the graft took.
20 years later in the last several months more little spots that were let go have resulted in more cutting and grafts on his ear .face, and shoulder.
A little freeze now can save a whole lot of cutting later.
It's definitely hereditary my wife has had several MOSE surgeries to have Skin cancer removed. She inherited from her mother.

WestTn Huntin man

Glad all went well scn. 👍
Keep reminding the young people, I didn't listen and have had several cut out/froze off. Wide brim hats, sunscreen, and long sleeves for me anymore.
Everyone should know there family history. Any history of it in either line and there's a good chance it's passed on.

Hduke86

Skin Cancer is one of the easiest to treat with early detection . It runs in my Moms family. I have gotten annual check ups for many years and avoided anything serious.
My mother and brother have had so many surgery's and skin grafts I have lost count. My brother has let suspicious spots go without treatment go more than once. 1st time part of his upper lip was removed. They cut part of his lower lip off and sewed it on top. His mouth was sewed shut except a hole for a straw until the graft took.
20 years later in the last several months more little spots that were let go have resulted in more cutting and grafts on his ear .face, and shoulder.
A little freeze now can save a whole lot of cutting later.
It's definitely hereditary my wife has had several MOSE surgeries to have Skin cancer removed. She inherited from her mother.
The Mohs procedure is no joke and they keep coming back for more until they know they got all of it

Wildcat

Supporter
I had a late morning appointment with my dermatologist to address what I thought/hoped were a bunch of pre-cancerous patches on my face and head. I was blessed that she found nothing serious in her examination. She used what now feels like a bottle of liquid nitrogen in a bunch of places. It wasn't a lot of fun, but after watching my Dad die from a skin cancer, I feel very blessed.

She advised me to use the discomfort to remind myself to use sun screen up there every day. She told me that 80% of the sun exposure issues come on a daily basis and not on extended periods outside. That would probably be hard to quantify, but likely makes sense with more of my issues on the left side of my face where I am exposed more to the drivers side window.

I'm sure, that like me, there are several of my TNDeer brethren that can feel some scaly places on their face. A trip to the dermatologist while they are still a pre-cancerous deal can save some problems and pain on down the way.
That's what my brother had.

TX300mag

I went several years ago and all was clear. He said that because I’m out in the sun every day that I was low risk, just told me to not get burned, which is almost never for me.
Same hear.

I read several years ago that landscapers have the lowest skin cancer rates and Endurance athletes have the highest. Makes sense.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Glad everything checked out okay SCN. I fish several times a week. I wear wide brimmed hat, long sleeve UV50 rated shirts, UV rated fishing gloves, UV rated pants (look like tights) socks and gym shoes. Use SPF100 sunscreen on ears, neck, and face. Sucks when you sweat and it runs into your eyes. Started wearing headbands to prevent this. I was a fool in my younger years and laid out in the sun using baby oil with iodine in it. Killer tan for sure, but it will catch up to me sooner or later. I have brown eyes and darkish skin, but my mother is pale skinned and green eyes (German) and burned all the time. Father was dark skinned and had brown eyes (not typical looking Irishman). I think I should be okay, went to a dermatologist 3 years ago and didn't have any issues. Starting to get sunspots on the tops of both hands.

Good luck in the future!

DaveB

Yep, Good news indeed. Now, you need to tie some more flies.

Most of my Melanoma surgeries have been on driver side but the worst two were on my right.

My Patient Portal shows me with over 140 Liquid Nitrogen burn-off's.

I know I can only take 14 of those in a single sitting. Time I had 15 had to stop on way home.

I have a special pair of socks I wear as gloves because the itching is so intense.

I told a Lady Friend of the Wife the circular burn marks were cigarette burns from my Wife. Her reply was "But your wife doesn't smoke!!"

I have pictures that will curl your toes. 132 stitches in my face. The second time only 120. The third time None (Second Intention).

Not many guys have had teen-age boys and adult ladies faint at the sight of your face.

If you don't have a Dermatologist, get one. Please.

sgtwebb1

Supporter
Awesome news, thank the Lord! 🙏

I STRONGLY suggest everyone go to the Dermo at least once for a 'mole check', even if you aren't concerned at all.
Not to hijack, but I want to encourage everyone to get checked--

I'm 5/8 Cherokee, coal black hair (in my younger days ) and of course always had very dark skin.
In the 60's & 70's, we ran outside shirtless and stayed out all day playing, fishing, swimming, etc, with exactly zero sunscreen on. I was as brown as coffee when I was young, up to my mid 30's, although I did start using sunscreen in my 20's.
Fast forward to about 1999 or so, I noticed a funny looking mole on my forehead that I hadn't noticed before.
Went to a Plastic Surgeon friend, he immediately cut it off and sent it in for a biopsy. Boom, pre-melanoma.
He got it all--I saw my own skull in the mirror while he was cutting--so nothing required, except he sent me to a Dermatologist.
BOOM, 4 moles on my back got cut off, and 2 on my belly.
One came back as the "Stage 0" melanoma.
The Dr called me at work and told me, said get in here now, I need to remove more.
No treatment needed, but I had to go back to the Dermo and have more skin removed.

So, every year I go and get a check.
Dr said out of all the people he's ever seen, I would be the least suspicious of finding melanoma, just because of my genetics and dark hair, eyes and skin.

So I use sunscreen, and now am nearly as light as a full caucasian.
If I can have melanoma, I promise you, you light skinned folks absolutely can. Get checked.

rabbit hunter

• Glad it turned out good for you. I'm in the sun all the time, riding my scooter or enjoying my pool. Back in July I went to see my dermatologist and had several places burnt off my face, ears, and shoulder. She found a place on my back that she biopsied and it came back cancer. Monday of last week I had a big chunk cut out of my back. She had to sew it up inside and outside, two layers of stitches. She called on Tuesday to let me know she got it all. I will say that this has been a very painful last couple of weeks.

Hduke86

Much better than cutting and waiting a week or so for lab results and clean margins. When they are done you know they are done.
Yea I’ve had to sit through a few of them with my elderly neighbor. Take a few layers and go back to the lab, come back take a few more layers, go back to the lab and so on. I’ve watched them do the cryotherapy (freezing) on upwards of 20 places at a time and it’s painful to see. What got me is when they would do injections in the cancers. Talk about someone hollering, my neighbor would holler like crazy and I dont blame him. Now we just do strictly radiation and immunotherapy to try and control them but I believe we’re at the top of the cancer hill and about to make our downhill swing and it get out of hand. As @DaveB mentioned about how bad it can be, I have photos of places on his chest that look like someone shot him close range with a shotgun. It seriously changes a person’s mind and outlook when you have to take care of deal with that level of skin cancer. I’m dark complected with dark hair and eyes but you won’t see me outside in the blazing sun without being covered up and it’s something I’ve made my children aware of and make sure they are safe also.