• Help Support TNDeer:

Auction question

RUGER

Supporter
My sister has a two car garage that is FULL of stuff.
You name it, it's in there and probably in quantities of more than one.

I know nothing about auctions.

Will an auction company come in and drag everything out and let her look over it for anything she might want to keep, then do the auction?

I just can't physically handle a "yard sale" of this magnitude.
I am guessing it would take upwards of 6 people to get everything out in a timely fashion.

Also, what is the average % that the auction company will take?

waynesworld

Traditions Auctions may either come do it there or they may have it brought to an auction they have. They do two a year in Shelbyville and seem to do good on prices. Not sure if they will come pack it up if they have to take it to a sale. I may know someone who could pack it up if it is too small to do it there. The big thing is for an auction to bring people it needs to have some hot ticket items. Guns, trucks or tractors.

These guys have been great to work with for me.

NAjoe

Wife's fam just went thru an estate auction with her parent's stuff. Auction co came in and tagged everything, gave the fam 1 more opportunity to get what they wanted and held the auction. He worked for about 2 weeks prepping. Not sure on percent of sale he got?

BuckWild

Normally the percentage is 30 to 40 percent. They can charge the seller a fixed percentage and then fix a buyers premium usually 10 percent.
Just depends on content and amount.

Many are going to online auctions now. They come and tag everything for the sale, post it online and have a one day viewing opportunity. It's becoming a very popular option.

I would suggest you contact Ridgely Auctions out of Cedar Groove. Very good people and honest.

Good Luck

PalsPal

I buy most of my items to resell on eBay from local estate sales.

With that said, locally, there are 4-5 local "companies" that do estate sales for families. There are usually 2-6 people who work for these companies. One local area is a retirement community, and they do most of the sales there. It can be people who either want to downsize, are moving, or they have passed away and their kids etc don't want to fool with doing the sale themselves.

They come in, sort and organize the items, price the items, trash the junk, conduct the sale over a 2-3 day period and then box the remaining items for donation to goodwill, etc., and clean up the house. They will sell a half bottle of dish detergent for $.50. They are thorough.

They get 30% plus a think some may charge an upfront fee also.

One in particular, has a blog that they post pictures, and have an email list to advertise sales, as well as advertise in the local paper etc. It is nothing for them to draw 100+ people the first day of the sale. They don't haggle. Day 2 is 25% off, and day 3 is 50% off. They might cut a deal on day 3 if they have several items remaining, but they usually don't.

I'd google or Facebook search for Estate Sales in your area.

FTG-05

We just did this Saturday before last with my shop mezzanine. It was totally full of stuff, most of which we hadn't seen since it was put up there spring 2014.

What we did was hire a couple guys for 6 hours. They did the bulk of the heavy lifting. We took everything down and sorted into 4-5 different piles: Trash, going back up, garage for daughter's baby stuff and furniture to be sold.

I don't have any before pics of the mezzanine but I do have these:

Pic of my trailer with the "Trash" pile; note that this is after it was picked over by the two guys - we told them they could have anything we didn't want.

enIDWIo.jpg

This is the trailer of what they guys took that we didn't want.

vIRHhv1.jpg

Mezzanine After; note that this was "Hoarder Full" when we started. See the baby bed in the back corner? There was a go-kart that we put up there; the mezzanine was so full, it wasn't even seen since spring 2014.

zhNPEyi.jpg

aDaN8TI.jpg

G2FU6KU.jpg

The two guys cost us about $300 or so plus we provided a BBQ lunch from the Corner Pit. Very, very well worth it!

Good luck!

RUGER

Supporter
We just did this Saturday before last with my shop mezzanine. It was totally full of stuff, most of which we hadn't seen since it was put up there spring 2014.

What we did was hire a couple guys for 6 hours. They did the bulk of the heavy lifting. We took everything down and sorted into 4-5 different piles: Trash, going back up, garage for daughter's baby stuff and furniture to be sold.

I don't have any before pics of the mezzanine but I do have these:

Pic of my trailer with the "Trash" pile; note that this is after it was picked over by the two guys - we told them they could have anything we didn't want.

enIDWIo.jpg
Looks like ya'll did a good job.

It's amazing how much stuff you can get in a small area if you stack it floor to ceiling.

RUGER

Supporter
I don't know any auctioneers to recommend in that area. I know quite a few across middle and east TN.
We have a really good one in South Fulton, I was just trying to get a feel of what to expect before I contacted him.
Thanks.

Latest posts