ATV Winch

J

Jon54

I have a relatively light ATV, Yamaha Grizzly 350 2wd. I’ve never needed a winch, but I’d never fallen from a stand till this year. I rarely get off of cleared paths and don’t see a lot of mud, but I’m thinking I need a winch. There are a bunch of brands, for the $ what should I consider?

E

eddie c

Have you considered a come along and a long rope?
When I bought my 4 wheeler I had the dealership to go ahead and install one so I can't help you with the after market winches.
Advise: whichever route you take, have a good rope or 2 handy. That tree you need to hook up to will be 6" too far for the winch cable.

J

Jon54

As I said, I’ve never needed one in years of atv use. There were a couple times I’ve gotten stuck but given the weight of my atv, I simply lifted the rear end out of the rut. The highest rated unit on Cabela’s is a champion? Cabela’s has one with a life time warranty. But who knows what that’s worth given the Bass Pro deal?

Remington700

Remington700

Moto alliance Viper Max. Just google them. I actually got mine cheaper by getting it through their ebay store.

dralarms

dralarms

I've got one that I bought to use as a hoist but had to go a different route. May have to buy bolts but it's yours if you want it. Just gotta figure out where you are in relation to me

S

shelbydeer

Viper max, stay away from warn. Have burned several motors up

woodyard

woodyard

I have a champion on my Polaris utv and it has done fine. I also have a champion I used in building a deer hoist for the back end of the Polaris to load deer. Both so far no problems and I think I got both fairly cheap on sale shopping around.

Deer Assassin

Deer Assassin

Supporter
griz01":3823qvbk said:
Badland 2500 ATV winch from Harbor Freight. At $80 more winch than your ATV could ever need.
i got it for like 49.95

it works fine

J

Jon54

dralarms":1h2n4q4u said:
I've got one that I bought to use as a hoist but had to go a different route. May have to buy bolts but it's yours if you want it. Just gotta figure out where you are in relation to me
That’s nice but I’m 300 miles away.

dralarms

dralarms

Jon54":74xvtmm9 said:
dralarms":74xvtmm9 said:
That’s nice but I’m 300 miles away.

Ouch. Sorry.

double browtine

double browtine

griz01":6b6ybdzm said:
Badland 2500 ATV winch from Harbor Freight. At $80 more winch than your ATV could ever need.

I second the badland winches. I had a superwinch 2000lb. It came on my 4 wheeler when I bought it used. It quit. I bought a 2500lb from HF. I got mine for like $59 with a coupon. It's a good winch. Definitely worth every penny.

B

BlackBelt

I had a Warn that I never used. Then when I needed it it wouldnt work because I hadnt used it. Apparently you need to roll it out once or twice a year and use it to keep the motor active.
I replaced it with an off-brand from Tractor Supply. I installed it and it worked fine immediately after installation. A couple months later I fed the cable out in my driveway to make sure the motor gets used. I started smelling something bad. The winch had caught on fire and was burning up the atv wiring and front plastics.
I put out the fire, fixed the damage and started carrying a Hi-Lift manual jack and tow/snatch straps instead.