ATV Issue!

PalsPal

You guys seem to know everything else, so I'll throw this out there.

2005 Honda Rincon that we keep at our cabin.

The battery was dead, so my dad and brother-in-law were trying to jump start it from the truck battery.

It would start, but not stay running, as it is sometimes hard to get it going.

They jumped it a few times, tried to get it going, die, repeat.

Apparently, they inadvertently switched the cables the last time they tried. They herd a pop when they tried to start it. Now it won't do anything.

I would really like to try to fix this myself, but I have no idea where to start.

Now, it does have a pull start also. We have not tried it. Is there a chance that it might run via that, or probably not?

Also, if it could be a several different things, that would probably be beyond my "want to tackle" level, and we'll take it to a shop.

Thanks!

cbhunter

If it has a carburetor (pretty sure it does) i suspect it has gunk built up in it causing it not to stay running (before the backwards cables)
Two great comments above for after the cable incident

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Yeah, Replace battery, clean carb, check the plug to make sure it isn't fouled now, and check the fuses and relays. Might not hurt to check the starter solenoid as well.

PalsPal

Thanks all.

Let me ask this, as I forgot when I originally posted. I did bring the battery out and charge it. I think it took the charge, but will have to double check. I assume that it would not have charged if it were the battery?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Thanks all.

Let me ask this, as I forgot when I originally posted. I did bring the battery out and charge it. I think it took the charge, but will have to double check. I assume that it would not have charged if it were the battery?
Check the battery water level, if it's too low, it wouldn't have held the charge at all.

CBU93

Thanks all.

What I experienced this year was the during the brutal cold, my batteries froze. Initially, they would take a recharge or jump off, but would not keep a charge. Even after hooking up a trickle charger (which I recommend based off the intermittent use I give my four wheelers)...the loud pop, could be anything...but you definitely need to replace the battery.

pioneer Bob

The battery was dead, so my dad and brother-in-law were trying to jump start it from the truck battery.

Apparently, they inadvertently switched the cables the last time they tried. They herd a pop when they tried to start it. Now it won't do anything.

I would really like to try to fix this myself, but I have no idea where to start.

Now, it does have a pull start also. We have not tried it. Is there a chance that it might run via that, or probably not?

Also, if it could be a several different things, that would probably be beyond my "want to tackle" level, and we'll take it to a shop.

Thanks!
Check for a blow fuse

fairchaser

I keep a trickle charger on mine all the time. You will save batteries. Also, run the gas out of the carb before you store it. That's all.

Wade195

If you have a volt meter hook it up to the battery and try to start.

The voltage should not drop below 9 volts or so. If it does, it's a battery. If the meter doesn't move, then you have something else.
Then try going from battery ground to frame ground and read your meter. It should read close to 0. Then do the same with positive to positive. It also should read close to 0 volts. If you read 3, 4 or 5 volts you have high resistance.

Last edited:

Wade195

Thanks!
Any updates?

Latest posts