ATF and Short-Barrelled Rifles

Omega

Im torn.... I dont want to give them the satisfaction of registering but Ive also been thinking i can get what i actually wanted without having to compromise and use a brace. Im hoping the lawsuits actually win but I'm not holding my breath
I am on so many "lists" good and bad, that I don't care what they have on me. The $200 is affordable to me, even if I had to do 10, but it's the principle of paying for my rights, I would rather go without than pay it. If this stands, I'll have free stamps, if it doesn't then I will have my braces. Same as the HPA, if it passes I will get silencers, if not, the deer will just have to keep hearing their friends get shot, loudly.
The main thing i see with it that it will do is Prevent an easy resale. That lower will always be tied to the nfa and you cant just up and sell. I mean you can , but i believe it will have to transfer on a form 4 and most would just buy their own new and sbr it
You can sell as a pistol lower, no brace, and the ATF doesn't even have to be notified, you can, and probably should, but by law you don't have to.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I am on so many "lists" good and bad, that I don't care what they have on me. The $200 is affordable to me, even if I had to do 10, but it's the principle of paying for my rights, I would rather go without than pay it. If this stands, I'll have free stamps, if it doesn't then I will have my braces. Same as the HPA, if it passes I will get silencers, if not, the deer will just have to keep hearing their friends get shot, loudly.

You can sell as a pistol lower, no brace, and the ATF doesn't even have to be notified, you can, and probably should, but by law you don't have to.
Yeah im sayinmg if you go on and nfa that brace and lower then that lower will be tied to the nfa!
As for the HPA that has been tossed around in the sub committees for maybe over 10 years.
My mother in law works for a state senator and ive told her to push him on it a few times. I just dont think it ever makes it up the list far enough for them to address it

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
No, they published the ruling so unless you can get one without any trail, it will not be honored for a free stamp.
I would think if you had a lower sitting around you could find a brace and sbr it .... Heck you might could just sbr any lower regardless if you even own a brace. But you would need to have owned that lower before today LOL

Bell3wv

I'm really not sure how a rifle shooting a rifle cartridge can be classified as a pistol, splitting hairs trying to get around regulations don't always work out. Barrel length and cartridge should automatically tell you what the weapon is not what you want it to identify as lol , I'd like for my 300wm to identify a xbow lol
I have a .357 rifle?

Omega

Yeah im sayinmg if you go on and nfa that brace and lower then that lower will be tied to the nfa!
As for the HPA that has been tossed around in the sub committees for maybe over 10 years.
My mother in law works for a state senator and ive told her to push him on it a few times. I just dont think it ever makes it up the list far enough for them to address it
Yes, it would be under the NFA, but all you have to do is throw a regular stock on it and swap out the upper and you fall off the perview of the NFA. Doesn't make sense but that is how it works.

Omega

What if...hypothetically...you had an 80% lower with no serial number? What do you do then?
If you are asking about doing an SBR with brace, then you would have to have it engraved since it has none. For a regular lower, you are allowed to adopt the engraving it has on it already under this Brace SBR process.

Bull_TN

What if...hypothetically...you had an 80% lower with no serial number? What do you do then?
What do you guys do with those 80% lowers. It's illegal to finish them out without putting a serial number on them and registering them, right? I never understood the point in buying those when you can buy a finished lower for not much more.

Omega

What do you guys do with those 80% lowers. It's illegal to finish them out without putting a serial number on them and registering them, right? I never understood the point in buying those when you can buy a finished lower for not much more.
No, it is not illegal to leave them without a SN, and it does not need to be registered.

Jcalder

Who are you gonna register it to, if you actually had to register it

Bull_TN

Who are you gonna register it to, if you actually had to register it
After reading on this more, apparently you can finish out the lower, but you can't sell it. It still seems like buying a finished lower is much simpler and cheaper unless you either have all the tools lying around to finish lowers or finished a large quantity of them. Sounds like the ATF will come a call'n if you finish out a large number of them too unless your a registered FFL.

Omega

After reading on this more, apparently you can finish out the lower, but you can't sell it. It still seems like buying a finished lower is much simpler and cheaper unless you either have all the tools lying around to finish lowers or finished a large quantity of them. Sounds like the ATF will come a call'n if you finish out a large number of them too unless your a registered FFL.
Not quite, you can sell a finished 80% lower, if in a state or city that allows legal P2P sales without an FFL. You just can't be in the business of selling them, which is the murky part of the law, exactly how many in what timeframe constitutes "in the business of". 80% lowers have gone from more expensive, to cheaper than a finished stripped lowers, but I think most just want to be able to see if they can finish one. Some may want to avoid FFLs, for nefarious reasons, or just tin-foil hat reasons but IMO these are a smaller percentage of people that go this route.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Yes, it would be under the NFA, but all you have to do is throw a regular stock on it and swap out the upper and you fall off the perview of the NFA. Doesn't make sense but that is how it works.
You talking about changing out the upper before you register NFA??? Because once you register that lower as an sbr it will be forever tied to the NFA no matter what you do to it. You cant even change the caliber if its NFA . Register it as a 223 and you cant put a 300bo 11 inch barrel on it and be nfa compliant.

Omega

You talking about changing out the upper before you register NFA??? Because once you register that lower as an sbr it will be forever tied to the NFA no matter what you do to it. You cant even change the caliber if its NFA . Register it as a 223 and you cant put a 300bo 11 inch barrel on it and be nfa compliant.
Not true, check out the Q&A PDF from the ATF's site I posted in the thread below. You can just remove the brace or attach a 16" barreled upper and it falls off their purview. Even a regular SBR, you can swap out the upper to a 16" barreled upper (any caliber) and it no longer falls under their purview, you can cross state lines without a letter, just don't have a pistol upper as well without a pistol lower or they may argue constructive possession. ATF keeps it murky on purpose I feel, but if you just pay attention to some of the minutia of the rules you can stay off their radar.
Oh, it's on - ATF goes after the stabilizing braces.