ATF and Short-Barrelled Rifles

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Show me where you see that. Ive never seen an NFA item just unbecome an NFA item.
Not true, check out the Q&A PDF from the ATF's site I posted in the thread below. You can just remove the brace or attach a 16" barreled upper and it falls off their purview. Even a regular SBR, you can swap out the upper to a 16" barreled upper (any caliber) and it no longer falls under their purview, you can cross state lines without a letter, just don't have a pistol upper as well without a pistol lower or they may argue constructive possession. ATF keeps it murky on purpose I feel, but if you just pay attention to some of the minutia of the rules you can stay off their radar.
Oh, it's on - ATF goes after the stabilizing braces.
Im suprised as its so highly regulated. I guess im looking at it like a suppressor and if they came knocking wanting you to show the nfa item and youre like "oh i put a rifle upper on it and sold it" I dont think that would go over too well.
I did see where they had said you cant change the caliber or the length of the registered sbr . So if you change it, all you can do is change the upper to a rifle length or remove the stock/brace entirely

Omega

Show me where you see that. Ive never seen an NFA item just unbecome an NFA item.

Im suprised as its so highly regulated. I guess im looking at it like a suppressor and if they came knocking wanting you to show the nfa item and youre like "oh i put a rifle upper on it and sold it" I dont think that would go over too well.
I did see where they had said you cant change the caliber or the length of the registered sbr . So if you change it, all you can do is change the upper to a rifle length or remove the stock/brace entirely
From the PDF:
WHAT ARE THE COMPLIANCE OPTIONS FOR AN INDIVIDUAL (NON-LICENSEE) IN POSSESSION OF A
FIREARM EQUIPPED WITH A "STABILIZING BRACE," WHICH IS A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE (SBR), AFTER THE
EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE FINAL RULE?
• Submit through the eForms system an Application to Make and Register a Firearm, ATF Form 1 (E-
Form 1) within 120-days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.
• Permanently remove or alter the "stabilizing brace" so that it cannot be reattached and thereby
removing it from regulation as a "firearm" under the NFA.
• Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer rifled barrel to the firearm thus removing
it from the provisions of the NFA.

• Turn the firearm into your local ATF office.
• Destroy the firearm. For more information go to How to Properly Destroy Firearms | Bureau of
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (atf.gov).

IF I NO LONGER WANT AN SBR AND I REMOVE THE "BRACE," DO I NEED TO CONTACT THE NFA TO
UN-REGISTER MY SBR WITH AN ATTACHED "STABILIZING BRACE"?
• It is not a requirement to remove your SBR from the NFRTR; however, ATF highly recommends
you notify the Government Services Branch (GSB) of the National Firearms Act Division to remove
the firearm from the NFRTR registry. All NFRTR updates should be emailed to [email protected].

BlackBelt

I'm not doing anything. It's unconstitutional. They can't make laws.

Anyone selling their braces?
I am pretty sure with all the lawsuits going forward there will be an injunction issued to stop the "free" registration process until a higher court can rule on any of a number of points that are being challenged.
Yes, it is unconstitutional. That fact doesnt really seem to matter to congress, president or the BATFE.
At least for now ATF rulings are not law, but carry the weight of law. Meaning you can be sentenced harshly for breaking their regulations.

Omega

I am pretty sure with all the lawsuits going forward there will be an injunction issued to stop the "free" registration process until a higher court can rule on any of a number of points that are being challenged.
Yes, it is unconstitutional. That fact doesnt really seem to matter to congress, president or the BATFE.
At least for now ATF rulings are not law, but carry the weight of law. Meaning you can be sentenced harshly for breaking their regulations.
An injunction probably won't stop the free registration, just keep the rule from being used against anyone.

infoman jr.

You talking about changing out the upper before you register NFA??? Because once you register that lower as an sbr it will be forever tied to the NFA no matter what you do to it. You cant even change the caliber if its NFA . Register it as a 223 and you cant put a 300bo 11 inch barrel on it and be nfa compliant.
The caliber change thing isn't true. You just have to retain the ability to restore the gun to the way it was registered.

DaveTN

From what I have been reading its not a matter of the BATF changing the law. I think you will find that the AR Pistols with or without braces are illegal. Some BATF agent sitting in his chair decided that an AR designated as a Pistol is legal. I believe you will next see that ruling changed. Then they decided that in the name of veterans with disabilities they would allow braces for the disabled. They didn't have the authority to do that, and most of the braces being sold are not being used by disabled veterans.

So its not a matter of them changing the law, it's a matter of their interpretation of the law was wrong. This has always been my beef with the BATF, they shouldn't have the authority to change rules that will ultimately cause a law-abiding citizen to be a criminal.

You watch a see; AR Pistols will be next. They are SBR's and the BATF will rule they made a mistake in that "ruling" also.

Will they go door to door, or try to contact the people with what are now, illegal SBR's with a brace? Probably not. They will take them and charge people with Federal Weapons Violations as they find them. They can turn up many ways. Traffic stops or accidents, building or house checks on burglary calls, domestic violence calls or a pizzed off wife Turning in her husband during a divorce, pizzed off family members or neighbors, etc.

We now have a BATF that see you as the enemy. They will take you down, and seize or outlaw your firearms in any way they can.

Latest posts