At what point during the season

rem270

rem270

Supporter
I think I'll always be selective on bucks especially with a 1 buck limit. With does I usually shoot them whenever I want. I usually don't the first weekend or even week of rifle but after that I'll kill them for meat if I haven't killed a buck.

T

THEdonkey0515

MUP":ma09dc9c said:
Pretty much when the freezer is empty LOL so could be at the beginning even! :D
This pretty much for me.

I'm more then happy to kill a doe & even use a buck tag on a small buck early to fill the freezer.

Once I get a deer or two in the freezer I become more selective.

Some years I can get this accomplished in bow, some years like this one it took me till the last day of muzzy to get #2 in the freezer (2 point buck broke off one side) so this year I've hunted all of rifle selective cause I didn't need the meat.

iowavf

iowavf

rem270":kw9wj0x6 said:
I think I'll always be selective on bucks especially with a 1 buck limit. With does I usually shoot them whenever I want. I usually don't the first weekend or even week of rifle but after that I'll kill them for meat if I haven't killed a buck.
I'm with you on the bucks and don't need to shoot a buck just to shoot one. I'll be selective on doe and won't take the older ones but will opt for a younger one if I decide to kill one. It's not about worrying about having deer meat in the freezer because I'm the only one who eats the deer. Most go to jerky rest is either the crock pot or smoker.

M

Mike Belt

You can be selective on bucks or does. Usually how many does I'm seeing dictates selectivity or whether I attempt to shoot one or not. I'm sort of bound to kill one because of our "have to kill a doe before shooting your second buck" club rule. For me a buck is a different story. If he's not big enough to satisfy me shooting him when I see him at the beginning of the season he isn't in the middle of the season nor at the end. In fact if he's a buck with potential I hope to be the last one to see him at the end of the season. That way I know he made it and may be the one I look for the following year.

M

MickThompson

No point for me on bucks. I killed had killed 13 does in a row before I busted the streak up this year. 2 is about all we get through a year, so that's where I stop unless someone specifically asks for one.

huntinkev

huntinkev

I start to panic if I don't have a deer down by end of ML season. If I can get a deer or 2 in freezer, then I start to be more selective.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
Happened last Friday morning. I was a bit undergeared on my footwear, and was freakin cold. I would have shot the first legal deer to walk by, particularly since I didn't take a deer last year, and the freezer is looking lean.

Nothing walked past, but I think the gloves are off for the rest of this season.

TX300mag

TX300mag

Whenever you feel like pulling the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rackseeker

Rackseeker

I pretty much don't worry about weather I have killed a deer or not during the season. I didn't pull the trigger until Dec 23 last year. Then killed 2 bucks that one week. I use to enjoy killing alot of deer in a season. Last few years I have enjoyed the scouting and trying to figure mature deer out more than the killing.

P

poorhunter

This is the first year since before children that I passed any deer, and I kinda sort-of regret it. I passed a spike during bow thinking I'd get a shot of the six point he was with, and a doe during bow because I didn't want to deal with it as warm as it was. Passed a fairly good looking six with gun because I was hunting by myself on my property and wanted to "save" it for my girls...turns out they have only gone with me once since because the house has been sick and they don't want to hunt mornings for the cold ;) . Now, it's mid December and I have three in the freezer, half way to my goal.

infoman jr.

infoman jr.

My standards relax a bit when I hunt public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk